Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Where: Highland
This junction was east of the Clachnaharry Swing Bridge and west of the Ness Viaduct. It was the start of the short branch south to Muirtown Basin. Both the main line and branch were single track. A signal box was present from opening in 1877. This was replaced with a ground frame before closure. Closure was either in 1969 or 1970.
In the Great War a mines depot, US Naval Base 18, was laid out close to the junction. This was reached by reversal from the branch.
In the Second World War some of the same site was re-used for MOW Carse Sidings.
After the war a refuse tip siding was laid in, the marshy land to the east of the curve being filled in.
The embankment formation of the former branch is intact for much of its length, curving round the Merkinch Industrial Estate.
Castle Stuart Platform
| US Base 18 Loco Shed|
MOW Carse Sidings
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge
US Base 18 Sidings
Inverness Ammunition Depot
US Naval Base 18
Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
South Kessock Pier
Cromwell's Fort [Inverness]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway