Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This signal box was between Carnbroe North Signal Box and Burnhouse Weighs Signal Box. It was on the west side of the line. Just to the east was Orchard Farm. It opened in 1900 (earlier than the north box which opened in 1914).
The box was at the south end of a long loop on the east side of the line from Carnbroe North Signal Box.
A little to the south was the north end of a loop which led to the west side of Mossend Marshalling Yard.
The box closed in 1966, taken over by Burnhouse Weighs box. (The east side loop north to Carnbroe North was lifted.)
The new M8 alignment passes just to the south of the former box.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Holytown Tunnel|
Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works
Rosehall Colliery Glen Pit
Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box
North Rosehall Junction
Carnbroe North Signal Box
Rise Pit (Coal)
New Pit (Coal)
Carnbroe Signal Box
Engine Pit (Coal)
Thankerton No 1 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)