This once large yard spans both sides of the railway at Mossend. Today the yard consists of loops on either side of the line with freight depots on the west side and a fenced Euroterminal depot on the east side.
The yard was first established by the Caledonian Railway on the former Wishaw and Coltness Railway. Expanded around 1903.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Bothwell Park Halt
| Mossend Concrete Works|
Thankerton No 1 Colliery
Rise Pit (Coal)
Mossend No 1 Junction
Mossend Coal Yard
Mossend Steel Works
Mossend No 3 Junction
Mossend Iron and Steel Works
Mossend North Junction
Engine Pit (Coal)
Mossend Gas Siding
Thankerton No 3 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1897||Mossend Marshalling Yard (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation to purchase land for the Mossend Marshalling Yard.
|11/08/1981||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Wishaw and Coltness Railway|
Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal to Mossend Marshalling Yard electrified.
|21/01/1998||Burghead Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway)|
12 week contract to carry grain from Andover to Roseisle Maltings via Mossend Marshalling Yard and Inverness begins.
|28/03/1999||English, Welsh and Scottish Railway
English, Welsh and Scottish Railway (EWS) starts a nightly Mossend Marshalling Yard to Inverness train for Safeway. This was the first regular supermarket traffic, the first EWS refrigerated flow and first internal Scottish traffic (which comes complete with backloads).
Safeway purchased by Morrisons, leading to the withdrawal of the container trains from Mossend Marshalling Yard to Inverness and Georgemas Junction.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)