This station was at the south end of Mossend Marshalling Yard. Holytown [1st] station closed when this station, just to its north, opened with two platforms on the line south and east and a further two platforms on the west to north curve of the Mossend junctions.
There was a goods yard, Mossend Goods [1st], on its west side hemmed in between the station and sidings approaching Mossend Iron and Steel Works.
A turntable was to the east and Thankerton Colliery Pit No 2 to the north east]].
The two platforms on the west side gained a southern exit when a line south from Mossend No 3 Junction to Milnwood Junction.
The two platforms on the west to north line closed first, probably when the line from Milnwood Junction to these platforms opened in 1903. This provided a second approach to the Mossend Marshalling Yard from the south.
Mossend Goods became a coal yard. The sidings remain today.
Little remains of the station today except the approach road from Main Street.
Bothwell Park Halt
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Mossend North Junction|
Mossend Coal Yard
Mossend No 3 Junction
Mossend No 1 Junction
Mossend Gas Siding
Mossend Concrete Works
Mossend West Junction
Mossend Marshalling Yard
Mossend Iron and Steel Works
Mossend Steel Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)