Mossend No 3 Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Mossend No 3 Junction (1902-1964)

Opened on the Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway).


This junction was south of the western platforms of Mossend station on the Mossend West Junction to Mossend No 1 Junction curve. The junction opened in 1902 when a new line opened south to Milnwood Junction, effectively quadrupling the line from Jerviston Junction (to the south) through Milnwood Junction to the south end of Mossend Marshalling Yard at Mossend No 1 Junction.

The signal box, opened with the junction, was on its east side and south of the Main Street bridge. (Mossend No 2 Junction was just off to the east on the parallel original line.)

The line south west to Mossend West Junction closed in 1964. The secondary line south to Milnwood Junction was reduced to a single track and the signal box closed.

The single track remains as a siding approached from the north, out of use.