Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This junction is just north of the former Mossend station and just south of Mossend Marshalling Yard.
It was initially for the Mossend, Thankerton Colliery, Calderbank Ironworks and Chapelhall Ironworks Railway.
From 1878 it was the north end of a west to north curve from Mossend West Junction.
The signal box was on the east side of the junction.
It was then renamed Mossend No 1 in advance of the opening of a new second line south to Milnwood Junction and Jerviston Junction about 1903, providing a new approach to Mossend Marshalling Yard.
The secondary line to Milnwood Junction was singled in 1964 and west to Mossend West Junction closed.
The box closed in 1973, replaced by Motherwell Signalling Centre.
The secondary Millnwood Junction line was severed at the south end and is now a siding.
Bothwell Park Halt
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Mossend Coal Yard|
Mossend No 3 Junction
Mossend North Junction
Mossend Gas Siding
Mossend Concrete Works
Mossend Marshalling Yard
Mossend Steel Works
Mossend Iron and Steel Works
Mossend West Junction
Thankerton No 1 Colliery
Thankerton No 3 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)