Comrie Viaduct (1901-1951)
Opened on the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway.
This was a single track viaduct to the west of Comrie station on the extension west to Lochearnhead [2nd]. It was a mass concrete viaduct. From east to west the viaduct had two concrete arches, a plate girder over the main road, six concrete arches, a large girder section over the River Earn and a final two concrete arches. The concrete was dressed to give the appearance of stone, a characteristic style seen elsewhere on other surviving bridges on this former line.
It partially still stands.
A little to the west the line re-crossed the Earn by the Ross Viaduct.
Other railway and industry locations
St Fillans Tunnel
Tarken Viaduct East
Comrie Railroad, House of Ross
Lord Melville Monument
Deils Caldron Waterfall
Sir David Baird^s Monument
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder