This two platform station opened on the re-gauged and rerouted line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. The original alignment was to the north, starting from west of the station and running east to Girtridge Mill. The west end of this original route was retained as a siding for the station - on the north side of the line and approached from the west. To the east was a goods yard, on the north side of the line and approached from the east.
The station's signal box was on the eastbound platform, just west of the station building.
To the east a mineral branch ran north to Craig Coal Pits Nos 1 and 2.
The signal box closed in 1960 and the station in 1969.
The line remains open but has been singled, the westbound line having been lifted. The station building is now a house. A road bridge over the line to the east of the station remains in use.
Drybridge station was the closest to the village of Dundonald just over a mile to the south.
Irvine Bank Street
Bogside Moor Halt
Riccarton and Craigie
| Craig Colliery Signal Box|
Shewalton 8,9 Colliery
Shewalton 5,6 Colliery
Springside Colliery No 11 Pit
Lathe Mill Siding
Springside Colliery No 10 Pit
Springside Colliery No 9 Pit
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1818||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Branch from Drybridge to Peatland Colliery opened.
|/ /1969||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Drybridge and Gateside stations closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s
THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.