This was a two platform station on an east-west alignment. The southbound (up) platform was to the north. The main station building was on the southbound platform. This was a crow-stepped gable building typical of the line.
There was a goods yard on the north side, with a reversing spur reached by reversal from the southbound platform. The yard was slightly expanded by 1899, and a bay siding laid into the east end of the southbound platform added. The signal box was at the west end of the southbound platform.
The station was west of the town, around 2/3 of a mile.
The station closed in 1960. The site is now a railway access point. The main building survived electrification but is now gone. The box closed in 1971.
| Castlemilk Goods|
Water of Milk Viaduct
Kirtlebridge Brick Works Signal Box
Bonshaw Tile Works
Bonshaw Clay Pit
Chapelcross Power Station
Kelhead Lime Works
Thomas Carlyle's Birthplace
Mossfoot Ammunition Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian