This station was east of Culzean Castle, about a mile by road. Unusually for this line it was a single platform station. The platform was on the east side of the line. A small building, typical of the line, had a canopy on the platform side. (An example of this style of building survives at Moniaive.) A footpath, crossing the Glenside burn, approached the castle's Glenside Lodge.
The goods yard was on the east side of the line, approached from the north, and with a short loop in the yard. There was a signal box on the platform.
South of the station the line crossed the Glenside Burn and passed under the castle's access road.
The station closed to passengers in 1930 but the line remained open. The box was operated by travelling signalman from 1932 and closed in 1936.
The railway here remained open until 1955.
The former station is now a caravan site.
Heads of Ayr [1st)
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Capenoch Signal Box
Balchriston Level Crossing Halt
Souter Johnnie^s Cottage
Croy Electric Brae
Maybole Collegiate Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Locomotive Apprentice: At the North British Locomotive Company
Rails to Turnberry and Heads of Ayr: The Maidens & Dunure Light Railway & the Butlin's Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Tales of the Glasgow and South Western Railway