This junction is in Coatbridge. It is one of three junctions forming a triangular junction. To the north east is Coatbridge Junction, just south of Coatbridge Central. This junction allows trains from the north to approach Glasgow via Rutherglen. To the south east is Whifflet North Junction, just north of Whifflet station. This junction allows the same approach for trains from the south. It is a double track junction. Both forks opened in 1865. Langloan station was to the immediate west.
The junction was also known as Langloan West Junction to make a distinction from Langloan East Junction.
The first signal box was on the south side of the junction. Coatbridge Iron Works was to the south, served by sidings west of the box approached from the west, and there was a connection to the Souterhouse and Dundyvan Branch (Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway) serving the British Tube Works.
The box was replaced, the new box being on the north side of the junction. This allowed a looped siding, approached from the west, to be laid in on the south side of the junction.
The box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre. The lines are now electrified.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Coatbridge Iron Works|
Langloan Iron Works
Drumpeller Coal Pit
Langloan Wagon Repair Depot
British Tube Works
Lochrin Wire Mill
Souterhouse Colliery Pit No 1
Souterhouse Brick Works
Langloan Level Crossing Signal Box
Souterhouse Colliery Pit No 2
Langloan Weighs Signal Box
Dundyvan Signal Box
Dundyvan Iron Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|