This was the junction between the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway. This was a double track junction.
Ashfield Road crosses over the former junction site. When the lines were built a road bridge was prepared over the line but it carried no road at first.
There was a signal box on the south side of the junction and a trailing crossover east of the junction. The box opened with the junction.
The box closed in 1934 and was replaced with a ground frame. The branch was singled, only the westbound line being retained.
The Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway) ran south west from the junction in a cutting which has been filled in. The route of the line west to Possil and east over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway remains unused and very overgrown.
Possilpark and Parkhouse
St Rollox [2nd]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
| Ironstone Pit|
Cowlairs North Junction
Cowlairs East Junction
Clydesdale Iron Works [Possil Park]
Cowlairs Panel Box
Cowlairs West Junction
North Western Engineering Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/11/1894||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Glasgow Central Railway|
Balornock Junction to Possil Junction, Maryhill [CR] and Stobcross (L&D railway no 4) opened to minerals and goods. This gave the Caledonian Railway an independent line to the Queens Dock lines.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)