This foundry, founded by Walter MacFarlane & Co and specialising in decorative ironwork, was served by sidings from the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, just the north, which approached from the west. These sidings met the line around the site of today^s Possilpark and Parkhouse station.
In 1894 the Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened, crossing the Helensburgh railway. A link from this opened to the foundry in 1895, flying under the branch on a graded curve and connecting to the existing sidings. But due to a prior agreement with the North British Railway this had to be closed.
The works had its own 0-4-0 locomotives for use within the works.
It became part of Federated foundries Ltd. Closure was around 1963/1964, closure for rail traffic being officially July 1964.
Possilpark and Parkhouse
St Georges Cross [Subway]
St Rollox [2nd]
| Clydesdale Iron Works [Possil Park]|
North Western Engineering Works
Cowlairs North Junction
Cowlairs Panel Box
Cowlairs West Junction
Firhill Timber Basin
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/04/1895||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Curve to the Saracen Foundry opened.
|/ /1896||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Curve to the Saracen Foundry has to be closed as it was in breach of the 1891 formal agreement with the North British Railway which owned the nearby former Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway already serving the works.