This railway runs between Helensburgh and Cowlairs, Glasgow. The section of line between Dumbarton (Dalreoch Junction) and Bowling was built by the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway who had failed to build lines to both Helensburgh and Glasgow.
The line between Glasgow Queen Street High Level and Anniesland is supported and promoted by the Glasgow North Community Rail Partnership .
|15/08/1855||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Act receives Royal assent
|28/05/1858||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox (Sighthill West Junction) with the Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.
|/ /1860||Clyde Trustees|
Decide to build a wet dock (the Queens Dock) on their land at Stobcross. The North British Railway promotes the Stobcross Railway as a branch of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to serve it. (1860s).
|14/08/1862||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
The Helensburgh line was absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1867||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
With the Caledonian Railway's take over of the Forth and Clyde Canal the North British Railway is given running powers over sidings at Bowling Basin, Bowling Basin Sidings [NB].
|/ /1879||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Combined Craigendoran Pier and Craigendoran authorised on a loop on the south side of the line, east of Helensburgh station.
|04/06/1879||Kelvin Valley Railway|
Opened to Maryhill [Temporary] (no connection made at this time to the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway) from Kelvin Valley East Junction (Birdston Junction) for freight.
|15/05/1882||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Craigendoran Pier and station opened. There was a double track station on the Helensburgh line, and a long curved single platform which ran onto the pier.
|01/08/1886||Glasgow City and District Railway|
Knightswood North Junction to Knightswood South Junction opened. The section included a tunnel under the Forth and Clyde Canal and Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
|/ /1887||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
|01/02/1887||Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway|
Circular service introduced by the North British Railway.
|/ /1890||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Drumchapel and Lochburn stations opened.
|01/05/1890||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
|/ /1896||Hamiltonhill Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Curve to the Saracen Foundry has to be closed as it was in breach of the 1891 formal agreement with the North British Railway which owned the nearby former Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway already serving the works.
|12/01/1903||Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway|
Circular service withdrawn.
|03/11/1907||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Singer station on new loop line skirting round the north of the Singer Works opened. The old course of the line becomes a goods line to the west of Kilbowie Road and the old station becomes a terminus for worker's trains, Singer Workers Platforms, and is expanded to 6 platforms.
|01/09/1913||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction RailwayGlasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Westerton station opened at the junction of the Milngavie line with the Singer line. Westerton Garden Suburb was being established in what was previously farmland to the north of the line.
|01/01/1917||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Possilpark closed to regular services, retained for workman trains
|04/01/1942||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
New marshalling yard opened at Craigendoran; Craigendoran West Yard and Craigendoran East Yard. Ardmore Yard was opened a little further to the south east.
|/ /1953||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
|08/06/1953||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Helensburgh renamed Helensburgh Central.
|04/11/1960||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Last steam trains from Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Helensburgh Central as the line is electrified.
|02/10/1961||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Maryhill Park closed.
|20/07/1963||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Ruchill Goods and Hospital Branch closed.
|08/05/1967||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Singer Workers Platforms station closed and electrification removed.
|/ /1969||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Singer Workers Platforms station closed completely.
|/07/1969||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Maryhill Park closed to goods.
|/07/1971||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Possilpark closed to goods.
|25/09/1972||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Craigendoran Pier closed to vessels (Use of the pier was then given over to small craft for a number of years).
|/ /1980||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Bridge over Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway in Lambhill removed.
|/10/1980||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Maryhill signal box burnt down, line to Anniesland closed. New box built on other side of track, but never used. The Maryhill to Anniesland section of the Stobcross Railway falls out of use.
|02/12/1993||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Glasgow Queen Street High Level to Maryhill re-opened for local passenger service (Stations at; Maryhill, Lambhill, Summerston, Possilpark, Ashfield), trains continue to Knightswood West Junction to swap tracks.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This is a four way junction. The 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway is met by the 1855 Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and the 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. The City of Glasgow Union Railway's north end reached here in 1875. In addition the Cowlairs Works was to the south, on the west side.
This junction is at the western point of a triangular junction. It opened in 1876 when a chord from Cowlairs East Junction opened. The chord is presently single but was double. It links the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and is effectively a Glasgow bypass.
This is a two platform station on the east side of Balmore Road, the A879. Facilities are fairly minimal consisting of shelters on the platforms.
This station was west of Balmore Road. Nothing remains to be seen of it today. It was a basic station with platforms and shelter. After the Great War it was an unadvertised station.
The double track line passes under the Forth and Clyde Canal via a pair of parallel single track tunnels. The original course of the canal was to the immediate south east, with the tunnel and deviation of the canal being built, and the canal diverted to accommodate the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
This was a two platform station to the west of West Possil Loch and the Lochburn Iron Works. The main station building was on the eastbound (Glasgow) platform. When built it was in an area, largely of farmed countryside, north of Glasgow. To the south east the line passed under the Forth and Clyde Canal.
This is a minimal modern two platform station located in a deep cutting east of the Lochburn Road road bridge over the line. It opened with the re-opening of the Maryhill line to local passenger trains in 1993. Prior to that the line was only served by non stop West Highland Line trains.
This is a two platform station. The station serves the Summerston area. This development is a little south of Summerston Farm, which was served by Summerston [1st] station.
This is a two platform station in the north of Maryhill. The current station is a reopening of 1993 on the site of the earlier station. Maryhill Park Junction opened to the west in 2005 along with a single track line to a bay platform at Anniesland.
The site of this paper mill is now and area of grass parkland, within Dawsholm Park, on the west bank of the River Kelvin, just south of the old Dawsholm Bridge. The mill was opened by William McArthur. It consisted of two ranges of buildings parallel to the river. A mill lade ran between the buildings and there were three small reservoirs to the west.
This junction was immediately west of Maryhill Park station and east of the Maryhill Viaduct [GDH]. It was formed with the opening of the Stobcross Railway in 1874, a branch from the 1858 Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway serving the west of Glasgow, Partick and the Queens Dock.
This is a double track seven arch viaduct over the River Kelvin built for the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. During construction, in 1857, five arches collapsed (the viaduct may have originally had nine arches). Alternative names are the Dawsholm Viaduct (which can be confused with the Dawsholm Viaduct a Dawsholm) and Kelvin Viaduct (could be confused with the [[Kelvin ...More details
This is a single lead junction, opened in 2005, west of Maryhill station located about mid way over the Maryhill Viaduct [GDH], with the single line to Anniesland crossing over to the parallel Maryhill Viaduct [SR] at the west end of the viaducts.
This signal box was west of Maryhill Central Junction. It was located at the west end of a set of looped sidings on the south side of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, the east end of these loops being at Maryhill Central Junction (that junction was renamed from Maryhill West Junction on the opening of the west box and sidings).
This is a single lead junction where the double track line between Westerton station and Anniesland is met by a single track from Cowlairs West Junction, this doubling shortly after the junction going east. (The junction has been converted into a single lead junction.) It is located just north of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
This was a Merry and Cunningham ironstone and coal colliery. It closed around 1879. Drumchapel Row was just to the north.
This is a two platform station close to Old Drumchapel with Drumchapel to the north. The main station building is on the eastbound platform.
This is a minimal two platform station.
This was a two platform station originally. A large goods yard developed to the south which had a line into the Kilbowie Iron Works.
The works of Somervail & Co, builders of steel and iron bridges, roofs and general structural works was established by Peter Alexander Somervail in 1887. Products of this company (chiefly girder bridges although lattice footbridges and roofs were also manufactured) can be found all over the railway network in Scotland.
This was a two platform station. In 1897 it was replaced by Dalmuir on the west side of Duntocher Road when the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway was extended by the North British Railway from Clydebank Junction west to Dalmuir Park Junction.
This is a five platform station. There are two platforms on the Singer route and to the north two platforms on the Clydebank route and a bay to the north of those, served from the Clydebank direction.
This is a two platform station. An original single storey station building remains on the westbound platform (another example survives at Cardross). The building is extended at the east end. The station is above the village, to the north.
This signal box was on the north side of the line, east of Bowling station opposite Bowling Harbour. It controlled access to the sidings on the south side of the line which ran to Bowling Basin, of the Forth and Clyde Canal, just to the east and the coal bunkering sidings at the east end of Bowling Harbour, served with mobile cranes.
This is a two platform station in the south of Bowling at at the north west end of Bowling Harbour.
This is a double track junction to the immediate west of Dalreoch station.
After the doubling of the Helensburgh Central to Dalreoch Junction line, Dalreoch Tunnels remained a single bore single track tunnel. This signal box protected the west end of the single track tunnel until the second bore was added. It remained in use afterwards until 1926. The box was renamed Dalreoch West. ...More details
This quarry is shown on the Railway Clearing House maps 66 chains west of the Dalreoch Tunnels.
This is a two platform station which retains its original Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway single storey station building on the eastbound platform. A similar building survives at Kilpatrick.
An occupational level crossing to the west of Cardross. ...More details
There was a signal box here by the level crossing, on the east side of the line south of the crossing. The box closed in 1943, replaced by Ardmore East Signal Box.
This yard was built for the marshalling of trains heading to Faslane Military Port, and other locations, in the Second World War. With the West Highland Railway being single track it made sense to combine trains before taking them on. A second set of sidings were laid out at Craigendoran Junction. The loop at Helensburgh Upper was lengthened.
This wartime signal box of 1943 was north of Moss Road Level Crossing and located on the east side of the railway. The box controlled the approach to the north end of Ardmore Yard, associated with Faslane Military Port. The buffer stops of the eastbound yard were just to the south over Moss Road.
This wartime yard was opened to the east of Craigendoran Junction along with Craigendoran West Yard. Access was controlled by Craigendoran East signal box. The yard was laid out on the north east side of the line. It had two sets of sidings and a turntable, all approached from the west. The yards were used in combination with Ardmore Yard for Faslane Military Port.
The pier platform lines bet the Helensburgh line east of Craigendoran station. This was remodelled in 1894 into a junction proper when the West Highland Railway opened. This was a double track junction, the West Highland becoming single track north of Craigendoran Upper station.
This gas works was served by a siding on the south side of Helensburgh Central and approached from the east. The siding crossed Princes Street just to the east of the Grant Street footbridge, dating from around the date of the reconstruction and enlargement of the terminus. Shunting within the works was by steam capstan.
This is a three platform terminus with a glazed roof. (It was four, but one platform's track is lifted.) There is a circulating area, covered by a glazed barrel ceiling with a small shop. The ticket office is by the main entrance off East Princes Street. At this entry is a two storey building facing the street, with a private lane on its west side. There is also a passageway entrance from the ...More details
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)