This junction opened in 1992 when the single track Cowlairs Chord opened from here, the east end, to Cowlairs South Junction the west. This new chord allowed trains to Cumbernauld to run directly from Glasgow Queen Street High Level for the first time. Prior to this this diesel shuttle service ran from Springburn to Cumbernauld, connecting with the electric Milngavie to Springburn service. Adding this curve completed the process which began in 1966 when Buchanan Street closed and the curve from its approach at Sighthill East Junction [1st] north to Sighthill Junction was upgraded to take passenger trains.
The curve runs through the southern part of the site of the former Turkey Yard. In addition the former Springburn 'bypass', the Sighthill Goods line, was closed and its route is crossed by the chord.
Close to this junction was the site of the former Springburn signal box.
The junction appears to have been called Springburn Junction when the Cowlairs Curve was first installed.
St Rollox [2nd]
Possilpark and Parkhouse
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
| Turkey Yard|
West of Scotland Signalling Centre
Cowlairs Mineral Yard
Cowlairs Carriage Sidings
Cowlairs South Junction
Hyde Park Works [2nd]
Atlas Works [2nd]
Cowlairs West Junction
Sighthill East Junction
Cowlairs Panel Box
Sighthill Goods Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/05/1858||Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox (Sighthill West Junction) with the Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.