Bowling Basin Sidings [NB]

Location type


Name and dates

Bowling Basin Sidings [NB] (1858-1959)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


These sidings were on the south side of the line east of Bowling station. They served both Bowling Harbour (north east corner) and Bowling Basin, the west end of the Forth and Clyde Canal.

There was a loading bank on north side of the sidings, quayside sidings on the north side of the harbour, at its east end, and sidings by the west end of the canal basin.

Access was from Bowling Basin Signal Box just to the west. This box was on the north side of the line.

With the opening of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway a connection was made from that line which ran from Bowling Harbour Signal Box to the basin and then crossed by a new low level bridge to the existing NB sidings.

A little to the east of Bowling Basin Signal Box a long footbridge crossed over the line and some of the sidings.

The sidings were lifted around 1959 when the box closed. Some timber sleepers remain here buried in the ground along with the loading bank.


Junction signal box