Bowling Basin Signal Box

Location type

Place

Name and dates

Bowling Basin Signal Box

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Description

This signal box was on the north side of the line, east of Bowling station opposite Bowling Harbour. It controlled access to the sidings on the south side of the line which ran to Bowling Basin, of the Forth and Clyde Canal, just to the east and the coal bunkering sidings at the east end of Bowling Harbour, served with mobile cranes.

Sidings by the canal basin were originally connected by turnplates. The sidings were realigned and basin shape altered with the opening of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway which crossed over the existing line, some way to the east of this box. A connection was made with the L&D sidings alongside the basin and there was a small exchange yard.

A footbridge, now removed, formerly crossed the line several hundred yards to the east of the box.

Due to the naming of signal boxes for the sidings served the Basin Box was alongside the Harbour whereas the L&D's Bowling Harbour Signal Box was east of the Basin.

Tags

Signal box sidings

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
03/08/2020



Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

Glasgow Railway Memories

Glasgow Stations

Glasgow's Last Days of Steam

Rails Around Glasgow

The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)