This railway is still open. This railway runs between Balloch and Bowling via Dumbarton Central. A long section of the line from Dumbarton East Junction to Bowling is closed.
The company is known by a number of different names and the name and spellings used in the 1846 Act are used here. Not all the authorised lines were built, the line failed to reach Helensburgh and Glasgow.
This confusion is due to the modern standardised spellings; Dumbarton (the town) and Dunbartonshire (the district). Further the word Junction is sometimes omitted. This is compounded by the leading railway author and historian John Thomas varying the name of the line between his various books. As a result the company known by many names including: the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Railway, the Caledonian and Dunbartonshire Junction Railway, the West Dunbartonshire Railway and the Dunbartonshire Railway.
|/ /1846||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal assent
|15/07/1850||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Opened from Balloch [1st] via Dumbarton to Bowling on the River Clyde, and beside the Forth and Clyde Canal. Steamers ran in connection with the line on Loch Lomond and the River Clyde. A turntable is installed to the north west of the Balloch [1st] station.
|/ /1858||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Balloch [1st] turntable replaced.
|14/08/1862||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1895||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Balloch [1st] turntable replaced for impending joint ownership of line for larger Caledonian Railway locomotives.
|01/10/1896||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line|
The North British Railway is forced to put its Dumbarton Central to Balloch Pier line into joint ownership with the Caledonian Railway to stop the Caledonian Railway from building a second railway (the proposed Dumbarton, Jamestown and Loch Lomond Railway) from Dumbarton to Balloch. The North British Railway now has to pay access charges for its section between Dalreoch Junction and Dumbarton East Junction.
|/ /1938||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Balloch [1st] turntable replaced with a 60ft.
|25/04/1960||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Dumbarton (East Junction) to Bowling (Dunglass Junction) closed to all traffic
|28/09/1986||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Balloch Pier closed to passengers. The electric catenary was used to electrify the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet South Junction line.
|24/04/1988||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Balloch station opened, replacing Balloch Central. Balloch signal box, level crossing and the remaining single track to Balloch Central taken out of use.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This timber steamer pier is now completely derelict. It was to the west of the Bowling Harbour wall outside the harbour itself. It was both a passenger and goods pier.
This is a two platform station in the south of Bowling at at the north west end of Bowling Harbour.
This oil terminal was west of Bowling, just west of Dunglass Castle. The site had several jetties, oil storage tanks stretching east from the jetties east to Bowling Shipyard along the shoreline (south of the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Railway, further tanks between the C&DR and the Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway, tanks on the hillside above, over the A82, to the ...More details
This goods yard was at the end of a long siding from Dumbuck Signal Box, which predated it. The line was on the north side of the line and approached via a reversing spur from the eastbound line. The yard was just south of Milton and finished with a loading bank and sidings.
This signal box was on the south side of the line just east of the Glasgow Road overbridge and west of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway overbridge.
Dalreoch is a two platform station with the junction between the Balloch branch and the Helensburgh line immediately to its west. The station has two car parks and a staffed station building. To the east is the Leven Viaduct and Dumbarton Central.
This box was a little north of Dalreoch Junction and south of Renton. A headshunt made a trailing connection on the west side to the northbound line. By reversal Dalreoch Quarry could be reached by a short line which passed under the main road to the west. The box was on the west side, just south of a road overbridge.
This is a single platform station, the platform being the former southbound platform. The British Railways built station building still stands, no longer in railway use.
This dye works was on the east bank of the River Leven by Bonhill.
This is a single platform station. There is a modern building on the platform. With road improvements, planners have placed the station in the middle of a large roundabout. There is a car park.
This factory was built for the Argyll Motor Company. A very fine set of offices formed a frontage onto North Main Street behind which was the factory itself. It is this frontage which remains today.
This is a single platform station - the platform occupying what was the down track before it was lifted. The station is south of Balloch Road which was formerly crossed by a level crossing to reach Balloch Central.
This was a minimal shed. Facilities were spread out around the Balloch stations. The shed building had a single covered road and water tank. It was located to the immediate west of Balloch Central and was approached from the north. The turntable was further north (half way to Balloch Pier) on the west side of the line, the brick-lined pit surviving into the 1980s. The coaling bench was on ...More details
This was the factory of the British Silk Dyeing Company located west of Balloch Central on the north side of Balloch Road. It was served by a siding from the turntable line south of Balloch Pier station. Approach was from the north with the single track long siding running south and then west to serve the north of the factory site. At the buffer end was a short loop.
This was a two platform station, an island platform with a long face which ran onto the pier and a shorter bay platform on the west side. Passenger steamers called on the west side of the pier.
This bleachworks was located by Dalquhurn Point on the west bank of the River Leven where washed cloth could be laid out on the level ground to bleach in sunlight.