This timber steamer pier is now completely derelict. It was to the west of the Bowling Harbour wall outside the harbour itself. It was both a passenger and goods pier.
The pier was served with sidings running from the west end of Bowling station, the extreme end of the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway running from Balloch Pier.
Nearby the pier was Frisky Hall, an inn which no longer exists, once famed for its large glazed windows overlooking the Clyde.
When the North British Railway took over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway in 1865 it started a ferry service from Frisky Wharf to Greenock. This was a prelude to proper entry into operating Clyde steamers the following year.
| Bowling Shipyard|
Littlemill Distillery Sidings
Bowling Basin Signal Box
Bowling Basin Sidings [NB]
Bowling Swing Bridge
Bowling Canal Basin
Dunglass Junction [East]
Bowling Basin Sidings [CR]
Bowling Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)