Forth and Clyde Junction Railway

Introduction

This railway ran between Stirling and Balloch and is closed. The promoters hoped to create a great west coast to east coast trunk line. It was promoted in Stirling with the hope to export Fife coal along the line, there being no Clyde harbour on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Passing through an area largely rural area of farming with little industry it didn't achieve their ambitions. A portion of it was used by the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway's route.

It closed to passengers in 1934. The line was a useful diversionary route in war time and was used by returning soldiers in the Second World War.

It was closed progressively in portions. No part remains open today although the Drymen Viaduct and Jamestown Viaduct [Balloch] remain as its greatest monuments. The signal box at Kippen, though in poor shape, is a superb survivor.

Architecture

The design of goods shed used on this line was later used on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway, becoming the standard design for the Highland Railway.






Dates

  /  /1853Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
13/04/1853Scottish Central Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Agreement made for the use of Stirling station.
18/03/1856Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Railway opened from Stirling to Buchlyvie for goods and minerals.
14/04/1856Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Line extended from Buchlyvie to Balfron for goods and minerals.
15/05/1856Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Opened throughout for goods and minerals.
26/05/1856Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Opened for passengers. Line operated by the Scottish Central Railway.
  /  /1859Scottish Central Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
With the Scottish Central Railway having Consolidated, the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway is re-authorised to access Stirling station.
  /  /1860Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
The Scottish Central Railway ceases to operate the line when the F&CJR itself takes over operation.
  /  /1863Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Local coach operators start a service between Milngavie and Balfron stations.
  /  /1865Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Following the merger of the Scottish Central Railway into the Caledonian Railway the F&CJR agrees access with the Caledonian Railway to Stirling station.
  /  /1871Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
The North British Railway takes over operation of the line from the F&CJR.
01/08/1875Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway lease to the North British Railway for 50 years.
  /01/1877Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Kilmaronock renamed Caldarvan.
  /  /1892Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Running powers between Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch], Jamestown and Dalmonach Print Works granted to the Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1896Murrayshall Lime Works
Established, with tramway connection to the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
01/10/1896Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
The Caledonian Railway may now run to Dalmonach Print Works via Jamestown.
  /  /1899Scottish Central Railway Stirling and Dunfermline Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Stirling remodelling - deviation of the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway (now owned by North British Railway) and Forth and Clyde Junction Railway authorised. The new deviation to be vested in the respective companies
01/01/1923North British Railway Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway Gifford and Garvald Railway Newburgh and North Fife Railway Lauder Light Railway Great Central Railway
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
23/09/1929Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Sentinel Cammell Steam Railcars introduced on the Balloch - Stirling service. The railcars were named for stagecoaches. Quicksilver was based at Balloch Shed, Pearl, Flower of Yarrow and Fair Maid (relief) based at Stirling Shed [NB].
01/10/1934Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
01/11/1950Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Buchlyvie Junction (excluded) to Mye Siding (excluded) and Drymen (excluded) to Gartness Junction (excluded) closed completely. The F&C line ceased to be a through route.
29/09/1951Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Blane Valley Railway Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Passenger stations closed at Aberfoyle, Gartmore, Buchlyvie, Balfron, Killearn, Dumgoyne, Blanefield, Strathblane, Campsie Glen, Lennoxtown [2nd], Milton of Campsie closed.
29/09/1951Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Closed to passengers from Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction.
01/12/1952Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Mye Siding to Port of Menteith (excluded) closed completely.
15/05/1958Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Blane Valley Railway Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
Stevenson Locomotive Society Railtour travels from Glasgow to Aberfoyle. (Also visiting Kilsyth (Old)).
05/10/1959Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Blane Valley Railway Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
Aberfoyle to Buchlyvie Junction to Gartness Junction to Campsie Glen (Lennox Castle Siding) (excluded) closed completely (a final railtour ran on the 17th). Track not lifted until early 1960s.
05/10/1959Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Jamestown (excluded) to Drymen closed completely.
05/10/1959Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Port of Menteith to Stirling New Bridge Signal Box (excluded) closed completely. Sidings such as Cowpark Goods in Stirling remained open.
17/10/1959Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Blane Valley Railway Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)
A University of Glasgow railtour visits Aberfoyle, the last passenger train to the station. The line had closed on the 5th.
01/03/1963Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Stirling New Bridge Signal Box closed. (Line to Raploch Siding closed.)
01/09/1964Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Croftengea Siding (excluded) to Jamestown closed completely.
09/04/1965Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch] (excluded) to Croftengea Siding closed completely. (Alternative date 04/04/1965).
17/10/1966Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Yard working for Cowpark Goods at Stirling end ceases.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Balloch to Stirling

This was a double track junction between the existing Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway of 1850 and the later Forth and Clyde Junction Railway of 1856. The junction was south of Balloch Central and today's Balloch station.
...

More details

See also
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway
334033 passes the site of Forth and Clyde Junction as it approaches the bridge carrying the A811 over the railway, a short distance from the present ...
John McIntyre 01/09/2018
Fairburn tank 42126 runs south past Forth and Clyde Junction shortly after setting out from Balloch on 9 July 1957 with a train for Rutherglen. See ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/07/1957
Standard 2-6-4T 80006 passing Forth and Clyde Junction on 9 July 1957 with a Rutherglen - Balloch train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/07/1957
View south from Balloch in July 1957 over Forth and Clyde Junction. [Ref query 4349] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/07/1957
4 of 4 images.


This long siding served the Croftengea Works. It was a branch of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway leaving that line just east of Forth and Clyde Junction at Balloch.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, this bridge carried the line over a mill lade at point where Croftengea branch leaves. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 20/03/2007
The Croftengea Branch left the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway close to Balloch and ran alongside the mill lade to the Levenfield Works. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 19/12/2007
2 of 2 images.


This is a disused 296 ft long single track 3 span girder viaduct over the River Leven. Levenbank Print Works and Jamestown station was a short distance to the east and Croftengea Siding a little to the west.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, former railway bridge over River Leven. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 20/03/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, Balloch to Stirling, former railway bridge over River Leven. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 20/03/2007
View of viaduct over River Leven at Jamestown looking towards Balloch. Signals still visible in the distance. ...
John Robin 08/07/1963
3 of 3 images.


This was a large print works opened by Watson, Arthur and Co on the east bank of the River Leven at Jamestown, just south of Balloch. (Also known as Levenbank Dye Works.) The print works was served by sidings from the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway in the extreme south of the site. Approach to these sidings, on the north side of the line, was from the west, over the [[Jamestown ...

More details


This was a two platform station on the west bank of the River Leven near Balloch.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, site of former Jamestown Station and Goods Yard on the Balloch to Stirling Railway. ...
Alistair MacKenzie //2004
The Dalmonach Siding branches off to the south from the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway at Jamestown. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Jamestown no more. View from the former level crossing looking to Stirling. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Jamestown Station facing Stirling. ...
John Robin 08/07/1963
4 of 4 images.


This siding was a loading point on the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway and Auchencarroch Quarry (to the south). A looped siding was on the south side of the line, approached from the east.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway near Auchencarroch, looking towards Auchencarroch quarry siding. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/04/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, looking NE at Auchencarroch. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/04/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, Auchencarroch quarry siding. Sandstone walling to left was bottom end of quarry tramway. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/04/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway near Auchencarroch, looking NE. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/04/2007
4 of 8 images. more


This was a single platform station on the single track line. Station buildings were modest, a small timber shelter with single sloping roof supplemented by a grounded wagon body.
...

More details
Railway cottage alongside Caldarvan station seen in 1988. The station was off to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Caldarvan station looking west in 1988 towards Jamestown. The platform was to the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Rear side of the platform at Caldarvan looking south. The railway fencing may be original and is held up with sections of rail. Caldarvan had one ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
3 of 3 images.


This siding, on the south side of the line, was north east of Caldarvan station, at the distant signal for the station. The siding was built for a Dunbartonshire County Council owned tip in 101. Gallangad Farm is to the south.
...

More details


Finnery (or Finnary) siding was west of Mavie Mill Crossing. The siding was on the north side of the line and approached from the west. This siding was opened in 1858, served Balquhain Quarry which provided stone for the Loch Katrine water supply scheme. It closed shortly afterwards.
...

More details


Mavie Mill Crossing was a signalled (with home and distant signals) level crossing between Caldarvan and Drymen stations.
...

More details


Cattermuir Mill Crossing was a signalled (with home and distant signals) level crossing between Caldarvan and Drymen stations.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway from access to Girl Guide campsite looking toward Croftamie. (The level crossing was a little to the west.) ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/03/2007
1 of 1 images.


This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main stone build station building was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
View into the old yard alongside Drymen station on 11 October from the A809 road. The yard and former goods shed are now operated by a decorative ...
John Furnevel 11/10/2007
Looking east towards Drymen level crossing. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking north across the main road in the village of Croftamie in October 2007 to Drymen station. The level crossing was to the right and the gates ...
John Furnevel 11/10/2007
Inside the former goods shed at Drymen station - the doorway was used for parcels deliveries. ...
Ewan Crawford 20/12/2006
4 of 12 images. more


This was a 320ft single track four span girder viaduct just east of Drymen station carrying the railway over the Endrick Water.
...

More details
The modified remains of the former railway viaduct over the Endrick Water, situated half a mile north east of the village of Croftamie, Stirlingshire. ...
John Furnevel 11/10/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, road bridge next to Gairdrew farm. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/03/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, road bridge next to Gairdrew farm. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/03/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, from bridge next to Gairdrew farm looking toward Croftamie. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 22/03/2007
4 of 10 images. more


This was a 120 ft single track tressle viaduct crossing over boggy ground and the Altquhur Burn. It was located between Drymen Viaduct and Gartness station. Also known as Altquhur Viaduct. The viaduct was replaced with an embankment and culvert by the North British Railway around 1875.
...

More details


This was a single platform station with single siding at the east end. At the west end was a level crossing. East of the station was Gartness Junction where the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway was met by the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway which used its metals to reach Buchlyvie Junction where it branched off for Aberfoyle.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway near Gartness, looking SW, in cutting. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/05/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, site of Gartness Station looking SW. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/05/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, site of Gartness Station yard. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/05/2007
Gartness station looking west towards Balloch and the level crossing. ...
Ewan Crawford //
4 of 5 images. more


Here the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway was met by the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway which used its metals to reach Buchlyvie Junction where it branched off for Aberfoyle.
...

More details

See also
Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway at Gartness Junction. FCJR to right and Strathendrick & Aberfoyle line to left. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/05/2007
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway at Gartness Junction looking N. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 03/05/2007
Gartness Junction looking west. The line to the left led to Blanefield and Glasgow and the one to the right to Balloch. ...
Ewan Crawford //
3 of 3 images.


This tile works was south west of Balfron station. The works was on the south side of the line and served by a siding, also on the south side, which was approached from the south west. There was a short tramway within the works.
...

More details


This was a two platform station with station buildings and signal box typical of the line. There was a passing loop. To the south was a level crossing which was crossed by the loop. The main station building was on the Stirling bound platform, with a waiting shelter on the other. The signal box (added 1893) was on the Balloch bound platform next to the level crossing. There was a goods ...

More details
The Aberfoyle branch freight westbound at Balfron in 1958 behind Dundee based B1 4-6-0 no 61278. The trip is thought to have been used as a running in ...
John Robin //1958
OS sheet of 1924 (part) showing the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway and the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway crossing Flanders Moss from Killearn ...
Alistair MacKenzie 18/07/2008
Looking north east over the former Balfron station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Balfron station looking towards Stirling around 1958, with the bridge carrying the water pipe from Loch Katrine in the distance. ...
John Robin //1958
4 of 6 images. more


This was a signalled level crossing with home and distance signals. A crossing keeper's cottage was on the east side of the line.
...

More details


This farm siding was on the south side of the line and approached from the east over a level crossing. There was a railway cottage to the south of the crossing. It was located between Balfron and Buchlyvie stations.
...

More details


This was a two platform station. It was a station with a passing loop on a single track line. The station house was on the westbound platform. A box opened in 1892 along with the loop and second platform.
...

More details
The former station house at Buchlyvie in October 2007. ...
John Furnevel 11/10/2007
Station house in 2002. ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
Looking west from footplate of B1 61118 at Buchlyvie station, thought to be in late 1958. The B1 was returning from Aberfoyle with the branch goods. ...
John Robin //1958
Buchlyvie. Ex N.B.R. 0.6.0 64598 Aberfoyle Bound. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 18/09/1951
4 of 4 images.


This was the junction between the older Balloch to Stirling line and the Aberfoyle branch of 1882. It was located at the east end of Buchlyvie station's loop.
...

More details

See also
Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Strathendrick & Aberfoyle Railway, Looking NW ...
Alistair MacKenzie 04/04/2007
The Strathendrick and Aberfoyle crossed Flanders Moss from Buchlyvie to approach Gartmore. The trackbed is now a forestry road frequented by cyclists ...
Ewan Crawford 15/10/2018
Forth & Clyde Junction Railway at Buchlyvie, looking NE, towards Stirling ...
Alistair MacKenzie 04/04/2007
Forth & Clyde Junction Railway at Buchlyvie, looking NE. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 04/04/2007
4 of 5 images. more


This railway ballast pit was east of Buchlyvie Junction. It was located on the north side of the line and approached from the east. It closed at an early date.
...

More details


This was a farm siding. It was located on the north side of the line and approached from the east. There was a railway cottage, Mye Cottage, to the immediate west on the north side of the line alongside a level crossing to its west. The crossing appears to have had a single signal post.
...

More details


Port of Menteith was briefly known as Cardross and was renamed to avoid confusion with the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway's station when it opened in 1858.
...

More details
Old plate on a bridge near Port of Menteith, October 2007. ...
John Furnevel /10/2007
Station house in 2002. The line was to the right of the building. ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
Forth & Clyde Junction Railway. Port of Menteith Station - porters room sign. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 25/05/2007
Forth & Clyde Junction Railway. Looking W along the line at Port of Menteith Station, anyone for tennis? ...
Alistair MacKenzie 25/05/2007
4 of 8 images. more


This was a farm siding and passenger halt. The siding was on the north side of the line, approached from the west. It was just east of a level crossing. There was a railway cottage on the north side of the line at the crossing. The crossing was not signalled.
...

More details


This was a farm siding and, between 1861 and 1866, a halt. The siding was on the north side of the line and approached from the west. There was a level crossing to the east. The crossing was equipped with home and distant signals. There was a cottage on the south side of the line, east of the crossing. Fairfield Farm is just to the north.
...

More details


This was a two platform station. The station was to the west of a level crossing and the station building, goods shed, loading bank and, notably, the signal box (dating from 1893, last of its type and 'B' listed) still stand. The station building stands on what was the westbound platform, the signal box is by the level crossing.
...

More details
The goods shed at Kippen station seen in 1987. The platforms and loop were to the right and the view looks to Balloch. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The former goods shed at Kippen on 11 October. ...
John Furnevel 11/10/2007
Forth & Clyde Junction Railway. Goods shed in the garden! ...
Alistair MacKenzie 25/05/2007
The 'C' listed 1893 Kippen signal box seen in 1987 while still in good condition. Since the photograph the building has greatly deteriorated and taken ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
4 of 16 images. more


The station is largely eradicated. Some portions of the eastbound timber platform remain by the A811 road. There was a level crossing between the passenger station (to the east) and goods station (west). The loop extended from the one to the other, crossing the level crossing. The box was on the west side of the crossing, south side of the line. It had opened in 1892
...

More details
Looking west from the former level crossing at Gargunnock. The goods yard and (still open) sawmill were ahead and the station behind. ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
View looking east to Stirling. ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
The somewhat pathetic remains of the eastbound platform at Gargunnock. The two platforms were built in timber and little remains. The nearby main road ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
The level crossing at Gargunnock looking north. The station house still stands but the station buildings were demolished on closure of the line to ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
4 of 8 images. more


This siding was for the Murrayshall Lime Kilns which provided agricultural lime to the area. A standard gauge tramway linked the siding to the works. The siding was on the south side of the line.
...

More details


This level crossing was with Raploch Road. There was a gate box on the south side of the line, east of the crossing. It operated the signals (home and distant). (There was a further level crossing to the east at Glendevon Drive.)
...

More details


The siding was on the south side of the line, approached from the west.
...

More details


This signal box controlled a level crossing with a road and tramway and the approach into Stirling station for the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
...

More details


This was the shed of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, built in the 'V' of the junction between that line and the Scottish Central Railway. It was considered part of Shore Road Shed [NB], although geographically remote from it being across the SCR from the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway shed.
...

More details


This coal depot was north of Stirling station. It was approached from the south by reversing from the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway's Cowpark Goods. The yard was on the west side of that line, across it from Stirling Shed [NB].
...

More details


This goods yard, also known as Cowpark (or Cow Park) Siding, was north of Stirling station on the east side of Stirling's Auction Market at its many cattle pens.
...

More details


This junction was just north of Stirling station and was formed when the 1848 Scottish Central Railway was met by the 1856 Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
...

More details

See also
Scottish Central Railway





Croftengea Branch

This long siding served the Croftengea Works. It was a branch of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway leaving that line just east of Forth and Clyde Junction at Balloch.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, this bridge carried the line over a mill lade at point where Croftengea branch leaves. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 20/03/2007
The Croftengea Branch left the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway close to Balloch and ran alongside the mill lade to the Levenfield Works. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 19/12/2007
2 of 2 images.


This bleach and print works was opened by John Todd & Co. It was later owned by Sir Archibald Orr Ewing, one of the promoters of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, along with the Milton Works (Dyeing), Levenbank Print Works and Dillichip Dye Works which were also in the Vale of Leven.
...

More details





Dalmonach Branch

This was a two platform station on the west bank of the River Leven near Balloch.
...

More details
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway, site of former Jamestown Station and Goods Yard on the Balloch to Stirling Railway. ...
Alistair MacKenzie //2004
The Dalmonach Siding branches off to the south from the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway at Jamestown. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Jamestown no more. View from the former level crossing looking to Stirling. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Jamestown Station facing Stirling. ...
John Robin 08/07/1963
4 of 4 images.


This dyeing works was on the east bank of the River Leven. It was opened by Todd & Shortridge Co in 1772. From 1863 it was served by a branch of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway which ran south from Jamestown station and also served the Dalmonach Print Works.
...

More details


This dyeing works was on the east bank of the River Leven. It was opened by Todd & Shortridge Co in 1772. From 1863 it was served by a branch of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway which ran south from Jamestown station and also served the Dalmonach Print Works.
...

More details


This print works bordered the east bank of the River Leven, just north of the Bonhill Bridge.
...

More details
At the south end of the rather long Dalmonach siding were these mills on east east bank of the Leven near Bonhill. Reached by a LC and now under ...
Ewan Crawford 24/06/2006
1 of 1 images.