This print works bordered the east bank of the River Leven, just north of the Bonhill Bridge.
The works was rebuilt in 1812 after a fire and grew piecemeal as required. A series of red brick and red sandstone buildings adjoined the river. Ownership varied, largely associated with the company name James Black & Co.
The works was served by a branch, authorised 1861 and opened 1864, of the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway from Jamestown station. This approached from higher ground to the north east and crossed a level crossing to reach the works. The works was the southern extremity of this branch.
The company joined the Calico Printers Association around 1899 and the works closed in 1929. The line remained as a public siding.
Parts of the works survived long after closure until demolition around 2010, the site is now housing except for a former schoolhouse (Dalmonach Hall). The last part of the railway branch closed in 1957.
| Ferryfield Print Works|
Alexandria Works (Printing and dyeing)
Gas Works (Vale of Leven Gas Co)
Croftengea Signal Box
Milton Works (Dyeing)
Milton Works (Dyeing) [Riverside]
Jamestown Viaduct [Balloch]
Levenbank Print Works
Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]
Vale of Leven Hospital
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1892||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Running powers between Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch], Jamestown and Dalmonach Print Works granted to the Caledonian Railway.
|01/10/1896||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
The Caledonian Railway may now run to Dalmonach Print Works via Jamestown.
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)