This railway is closed. It was a single track line running from Kilsyth, where it met the Kelvin Valley Railway owned by the North British Railway, through Bonnybridge to near Larbert, where it met the Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway) owned by the Caledonian Railway. It opened in 1888.
As a result of being a boundary between the companies it became a jointly operated line, the NBR one year and the CR the following.
Passenger traffic was light, the railway serving a largely farmed area with small villages. The line served several mines and quarries and carried traffic for the Bankier Distillery. Many of the pits were close to worked out having been served by tramways from the parallel Forth and Clyde Canal, to the south. The Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway also served the area, to the south of the canal.
In 1923 it was grouped into the London and North Eastern Railway.
Passenger trains were withdrawn in 1935 - and additionally the eastern end from Bonnywater Junction to Dennyloanhead. The line progressively closed from the east, the last portion closing in 1964 along with the eastern part of the KVR.
There were no major structures other than a viaduct in Kilsyth, which has not survived, between the junction and Kilsyth New.
|/ /1882||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Line authorised. Running powers to Kilsyth (Old}.
|/ /1887||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Time for completion of works extended.
|/ /1888||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Bonnybridge Shed, a single road timber locomotive shed, opened at Bonnybridge Central. The Caledonian Railway operate this as a sub-shed of Denny Shed.
|/ /1888||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
The North British Railway and Caledonian Railway agree joint working of the line.
|01/02/1888||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Denny West Junction to Carmuirs West Junction opened. (In advance of the opening of the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway on 02/07/1888.)
|02/07/1888||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Railway opened to passengers and freight. Line operated by both the North British Railway and Caledonian Railway. Stations at Kilsyth (New), Colzium, Banknock, Dennyloanhead, Bonnybridge Central.
|/ /1889||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Doubling of branch and Ingliston Goods extension authorised along with a curve to the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway (latter not built).
|/ /1892||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Powers for a curve allowing running from Denny onto the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway expire. Curve not built.
|/ /1908||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Absorbed by the North British Railway.
|/ /1921||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
The Caledonian Railway cease to operate over the line.
|01/01/1923||North British Railway
Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway
Great North of Scotland Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway
Gifford and Garvald Railway
Newburgh and North Fife Railway
Lauder Light Railway
Great Central Railway|
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
|01/02/1935||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway
Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Larbert Junction to Kilsyth (New) to Kilsyth Junction closed to passengers.
|01/02/1935||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Bonnywater Junction (excluded) to Dennyloanhead (excluded) closed to all traffic.
|01/03/1956||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Dennyloanhead to Banknock (excluded) closed to freight.
|04/05/1964||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Banknock to Kilsyth Junction (excluded) closed to freight.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The station building, a small North British Railway type with canopy, was at the west end of the westbound platform. On the opposite platform was a waiting room. The west end of the station was crossed by a girder road bridge. The station was in the north of the village of Banknock, just west of Banknock House.
This was a single platform station with no passing loop. The platform was on the south side of the line and there was a small station building. It was crossed at the west end by Station Road. There was a goods yard at the east end, with a siding approached from the east. To the north was Knowehead Colliery with sidings served from the east.
This was a single platform station with a goods yard at its east end. The platform was on the south side of the single track. There was a long loop to the east of the station.
This was a single road shed. ...More details
This was a junction between the 1858 Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway) and the 1888 Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway. Both lines were single track. There was a loop on the later line running west from the junction.