This was a single platform station with a small building. There was a passing loop which served a loading bank. The station was built to serve Gartmore House to the south. The platform was on the east side of the line with the signal box on the loading bank on the west side.
The station closed to passengers in 1950 and the line closed in 1959.
Little remains of the station although there is a railway cottage in use as a house. Just to the south the A81, when realigned, was made to cross the railway by means of a large concrete bridge. The bridge was built to cross a double track line.
Port of Menteith
Callander Ticket Platform
| Forth Viaduct [Gartmore]|
Kelty Water Bridge
Mye Gravel Pit
Inch Talla Castle
Lake of Menteith
Port of Menteith Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
The station was used for the film 'Geordie' in September 1954 when the station doubled as 'Drumfechan'.
IMDB - Geordie (1954)
|01/10/1882||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway|
Line opened for passengers and freight from Dumgoyne to Gartness Junction and Buchlyvie Junction to Aberfoyle. Stations at Killearn, Gartmore and Aberfoyle.
|29/09/1951||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Blane Valley Railway
Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Passenger stations closed at Aberfoyle, Gartmore, Buchlyvie, Balfron, Killearn, Dumgoyne, Blanefield, Strathblane, Campsie Glen, Lennoxtown [2nd], Milton of Campsie closed.