This was a two platform station with station buildings and signal box typical of the line. There was a passing loop. To the south was a level crossing which was crossed by the loop. The main station building was on the Stirling bound platform, with a waiting shelter on the other. The signal box (added 1893) was on the Balloch bound platform next to the level crossing. There was a goods yard on the west side, approached from the north. It was equipped with water columns, the only ones on the route.
To the north the Loch Katrine waterpipes, a scheme built at the same time, 1855-59, crosses over the trackbed. Clearance for two tracks was required as the line had permission to double along its length. A second pipe bridge was added in 1893.
The station closed to passengers in 1951 but remained opened for goods. The box closed in 1956. The line closed in 1959.
No station buildings survive and a house now occupies the goods yard site.
The station was in Balfron Station, a very small village obviously named for it, some distance from Balfron itself (2 miles to the east). The location is not far south of Ballat crossroads. From 1896 a stage coach was operated by the railway to Balfron itself.
Port of Menteith
| Drumquharn Tile Works|
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/04/1856||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Line extended from Buchlyvie to Balfron for goods and minerals.
|/ /1863||Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Local coach operators start a service between Milngavie and Balfron stations.
|01/10/1934||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
|29/09/1951||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway
Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
Blane Valley Railway
Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Aberfoyle to Kirkintilloch [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Passenger stations closed at Aberfoyle, Gartmore, Buchlyvie, Balfron, Killearn, Dumgoyne, Blanefield, Strathblane, Campsie Glen, Lennoxtown [2nd], Milton of Campsie closed.
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)