This is a single platform station - the platform occupying what was the down track before it was lifted. The station is south of Balloch Road which was formerly crossed by a level crossing to reach Balloch Central.
Just to the south is the site of Forth and Clyde Junction where the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway met the former Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway at a north (Balloch) facing junction.
Helensburgh Ticket Platform
| Balloch Shed|
Loch Lomond Factory (Silk Dyeing)
Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]
Jamestown Viaduct [Balloch]
Levenbank Print Works
Milton Works (Dyeing) [Riverside]
Croftengea Signal Box
Milton Works (Dyeing)
Sea Life Loch Lomond
Vale of Leven Hospital
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1896||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Railway (Caledonian Railway, Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway and North British Railway Joint)|
The North British Railway is obliged to put its Dumbarton Central to Balloch Pier line into joint ownership with the Caledonian Railway to stop the Caledonian Railway from building a second railway (the proposed Dumbarton, Jamestown and Loch Lomond Railway) from Dumbarton to Balloch. The North British Railway now has to pay access charges for its section between Dalreoch Junction and Dumbarton East Junction. The Caledonian Railway is, from this date, admitted to the Balloch line.
|23/09/1929||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Sentinel Cammell Steam Railcars introduced on the Balloch - Stirling service. The railcars were named for stagecoaches. Quicksilver was based at Balloch Shed, Pearl, Flower of Yarrow and Fair Maid (relief) based at Stirling Shed [NB].
|01/10/1934||Forth and Clyde Junction Railway|
Closed to passengers from Balloch (Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]) to Gartness Junction and from Buchlyvie Junction to Stirling. The Gartness Junction to Buchlyvie Junction section was used by trains to Aberfoyle and Balfron and Buchlyvie stations remained open. Jamestown, Caldarvan, Drymen, Gartness, Port of Menteith, Kippen and Gargunnock closed to passengers.
|24/04/1988||Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway|
Balloch station opened, replacing Balloch Central. Balloch signal box, level crossing and the remaining single track to Balloch Central taken out of use.
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)