Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.
This is a disused 296 ft long single track 3 span girder viaduct over the River Leven. Levenbank Print Works and Jamestown station was a short distance to the east and Croftengea Siding a little to the west.
The viaduct was originally a timber tressle bridge. This was replaced in 1874 with the present bridge. Not being the strongest of bridges there was a speed restriction of 10mph and doubled headed trains over the viaduct were banned.
The bridge now carries a walkway.
The viaduct is known by various names
and for the former line
| Levenbank Print Works|
Milton Works (Dyeing) [Riverside]
Forth and Clyde Junction [Balloch]
Milton Works (Dyeing)
Croftengea Signal Box
Alexandria Works (Printing and dyeing)
Gas Works (Vale of Leven Gas Co)
Dalmonach Print Works
Loch Lomond Factory (Silk Dyeing)
Ferryfield Print Works
Vale of Leven Hospital
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)