This line is open. The line was originally associated with shipyards which re-located, in 1871, from Govan (on the south bank of the Clyde) to Clydebank (formerly Barns of the Clyde on the north bank of the Clyde). The workers remained living in Govan and to get to work at the new shipyards used a ferry, the Stobcross Railway and the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway. Initially single track.
The line was upgraded as the competing Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway of the Caledonian Railway was being completed. It was doubled, junctions altered at Whiteinch and a triangular junction created at Jordanhill and extended west to Dalmuir to become a through route. Sidings were added a stations and works. The extension was a challenging line to build as it pass under both the Forth and Clyde Canal and the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
From 1882 a self contained passenger service operated from Partick to Clydebank [1st]. Passengers from Govan took the ferry over the Clyde and the train to reach the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd]. This yard had relocated from Govan taking the name ^Clydebank^ with it to what had been ^Barns ^O Clyde^.
|/ /1878||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway authorised.
|01/12/1882||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Opened from Yoker Junction, Hyndland, to Clydebank [1st] (later Clydebank East). This line was used in conjunction with a ferry over the Clyde and the Stobcross Railway station at Partick for shipyard workers who lived in Govan to travel to the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] which had re-located from Govan. A line ran west from Clydebank [1st] into the shipyard over the Forth and Cart Canal.
|01/08/1887||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Jordanhill station opened.
|/ /1893||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Extension to Dalmuir authorised, along with deviation of a portion of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
|/ /1897||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
North British Railway|
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
Opened to passengers. A new connection was made to the line from the west of Crow Road. This replaced an earlier line which crossed under Crow road and joined at Whiteinch Junction which was further east (to the south of Gartnavel Royal Hospital). The route of this earlier line is now built over, but was slightly further south than the existing line. The North British Railway also built a spur from a west facing junction on the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway to a north facing junction on the Stobcross Railway.
|08/05/1897||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
Clydebank to Dalmuir (North British Railway)|
Extended from Clydebank Junction to Dalmuir. The original terminus, Clydebank [1st], is left on a short branch with a east facing junction, Clydebank Junction, and is re-named Clydebank East. Dalmuir [1st] is replaced by Dalmuir.
|25/04/1907||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire RailwayGlasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) opened. The line was joint North British Railway and Caledonian Railway.
|14/09/1959||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Clydebank East to Yoker (Clydebank Junction) closed to all traffic.
These locations are along the line.
This is the junction between the lines to Anniesland and Jordanhill west of Hyndland. The former is the older line, the 1874 Stobcross Railway and the latter is the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway of 1882. Both lines are double track.
This is a two platform station.
This junction opened in 1897, the southern end of a curve from Whiteinch North Junction. It was opened as part of the improvements to the Clydebank line which was doubled throughout and extended to Dalmuir to create a new through route. The curve, in particular, gave the North British Railway direct access to several north bank of the Clyde sites from the [[Edinburgh and Glasgow ...More details
This is a two platform station with the main building on the eastbound platform.
This is a relatively modern island platform station dating from 1960, the electrification of the line. The approach to the Yoker Depot starts from this station.
This junction was to the west of Scotstounhill, it led to the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) which ran west to the Rothesay Dock on the north bank of the River Clyde. There was a large yard next to the main line by the junction. The signal box was on the south side of the main line and north side of the yard.
This is a train servicing depot west of Garscadden station on the south side of the line. It replaced depots at Hyndland [1st] (Hyndland Depot) and Bridgeton Central (Bridgeton Depot). It is built on the site of Yoker Yard and accessed, to the east, by the former Clydebank Dock East Junction.
This is a two platform station. The booking office was at street level on the bridge over the line to the east of the station, on Mill Road. Each platform had a waiting room. No buildings survive.
This junction was east of Clydebank East, the terminus of the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway. This line was extended west to Dalmuir in 1897 leaving the terminus on a short branch. Both lines were double track. The newer line remains open while the original terminus is closed. The newer line gently curved away to the north of the terminal lines, the kink can still be discerned ...More details
This was a two platform terminus.
This was the shipyard which built the Queens (RMS Queen Mary, RMS Queen Elizabeth, Queen Elizabeth 2) and many other famous ships such as the HMS Hood, RMS Lusitania and RMS Aquitania. It is the yard which have the name to Clydebank itself and along with the Singer Works to the north defined Clydebank. For many, the works was John Brown Engineering.