Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway.
This was a two platform terminus.
This was the original terminus of the line from Yoker Junction (now Hyndland East Junction) before it was extended west via Clydebank Central to Dalmuir. The station was left as the terminus of a short branch.
When opened, the station was perpendicular to the Forth and Cart Canal and was built to serve the Clydebank Shipyard which had recently opened, changing the name of the district from Barns O' Clyde. A passenger service ran here from Govan, from where the shipyard had relocated, using the Govan Ferry and passenger trains from Partickhill.
The station had a relatively narrow island platform and was located just south of the line which bypassed it. The station house was a two storey building, extended at the south end by a single storey office. There were carriage sidings to either side of the platform loops. To the south of the station were goods lines, with a yard of several sidings, which ran west to the John Brown Ship Yard. Clydebank East Shed was located by the station, at its east end.
The station site was cleared after closure, around 1969, becoming playing fields for a school.
It was just to the north of West Barns of Clyde.
Singer Workers Platforms
Renfrew Fulbar Street
| Clydebank Goods|
Clydebank East Shed
North British Chemical Works
Clydebank Goods Junction
Clydebank Central Junction
Singer Signal Box
Kilbowie Swing Bridge
East Barns of Clyde Shipyard
Titan Crane [Clydebank]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/12/1882||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Opened from Yoker Junction, Hyndland, to Clydebank [1st] (later Clydebank East). This line was used in conjunction with a ferry over the Clyde and the Stobcross Railway station at Partick for shipyard workers who lived in Govan to travel to the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] which had re-located from Govan. A line ran west from Clydebank [1st] into the shipyard over the Forth and Cart Canal.
|08/05/1897||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
Clydebank to Dalmuir (North British Railway)|
Extended from Clydebank Junction to Dalmuir. The original terminus, Clydebank [1st], is left on a short branch with a east facing junction, Clydebank Junction, and is re-named Clydebank East. Dalmuir [1st] is replaced by Dalmuir.
|14/09/1959||Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway|
Clydebank East to Yoker (Clydebank Junction) closed to all traffic.