Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This freight line is closed. The line was a joint venture between the Caledonian Railway and the North British Railway, and approach lines from both systems existed.






Dates

  /  /1893William Baird and Company
Purchase mines at Santander, North Spain and the Monte de Hierro mineral field in south Spain. This traffic was initially received at General Terminus (Glasgow Harbour), but the harbour commissioners soon had plans for a new facility at Rothesay Dock served by the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway).
  /  /1899Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
New Clydebank Dock (later named Rothesay Dock) authorised.
  /  /1903Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Agreement that the line become joint should the Caledonian or L&D apply before December 1906.
10/04/1903Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Following arbitration the line becomes joint.
  /  /1905Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Caledonian Railway portion authorised.
25/04/1907Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire RailwayGlasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) opened. The line was joint North British Railway and Caledonian Railway.
25/04/1907Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Rothesay Dock opened by George, Prince of Wales and Duke of Rothesay. It was named for the Duke, the name prior to opening being New Clydebank Dock.
  /  /1908Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Further works at Rothesay Dock authorised. (Or does this refer to Rothesay Pier, Bute?)
  /  /1958Ravenscraig Steel WorksGeneral Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
General Terminus re-built for importing coal and iron ore as the facilities at Rothesay Dock and the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) were not sufficient.
  /  /1983Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Goes out of use.
  /  /1988Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway)
Single track line reinstated from Yoker Depot to the Rothesay Dock for imported coal trains from here to Kincardine Power Station (Kincardine Line). The former Rothesay dock yard was ripped up and replaced with a loop.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Caledonian approach

This junction opened in 1907 for the Rothesay Dock line, a joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway railway.
...

More details

See also
Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Looking west at Scotstoun West where the Rothesay Dock Branch and L&DR parted company. The island platform of Scotstoun West is to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006
Looking west to the junction. To the left were sidings for Yarrows Shipyard. Also to the left was the end of the Clydeside Tramway. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006
Looking east to Scotstoun West station. This fine girder bridge looks to be in a state of siege. Doocots abound round here. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006
3 of 3 images.


This was a two road single ended shed on the north side of the Caledonian Railway portion of the Rothesay Dock Branch. The shed was served from the east.
...

More details


This junction was close to Rothesay Dock and its yard. The line from Rothesay Dock East Junction (North British Railway) met the line from Scotstoun West Junction (Caledonian Railway) here.
...

More details
Looking east from the A814 bridge, along the re-instated Rothesay Dock branch, towards Yoker Depot and Clydebank Dock Junction in 1988.
...
Bill Roberton //1988
Looking west from the A814 along the Rothesay Dock branch in 1988, re-laid to carry imported coal to Longannet Power Station. The steel bridge in the ...
Bill Roberton //1988
2 of 2 images.


This junction was on the approach to the large yard at Rothesay Dock. The dock was approached from the east by two lines, one from Clydebank Dock Junction (North British Railway) and one from Scotstoun West Junction (Caledonian Railway). The signal box, 'Green Road', was on the north side of the junction. It opened in 1907 with the junction.
...

More details
Looking west over the former marshalling yard at Rothesay Dock. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The view west from the long gone footbridge over Green Road Junction in 1988. The line to Rothesay Dock was recently reinstated at the time. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Rothesay Dock branch looking to Yoker Yard. Yoker for Renfrew Ferry station stood on the bridge over the line. Here the NB line (left) met the Caley ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Rothesay Dock Yard viewed from the footbridge to its east in May 1987. The yard closed after the opening of the Hunterston Ore Terminal but was to ...
Ewan Crawford 18/05/1987
4 of 6 images. more





North British approach

This junction was to the west of Scotstounhill, it led to the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) which ran west to the Rothesay Dock on the north bank of the River Clyde. There was a large yard next to the main line by the junction. The signal box was on the south side of the main line and north side of the yard.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
Clydebank Dock signalbox which controlled Yoker Yard (later depot) and the Rothesay Dock Branch. Abolished with the Yoker resignaling scheme. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
V1 2-6-2T 67622 passing Clydebank Dock Junction with and up Helensburgh Express on Saturday 3rd May 1958. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 03/05/1958
2 of 2 images.


This is a train servicing depot west of Garscadden station on the south side of the line. It replaced depots at Hyndland [1st] (Hyndland Depot) and Bridgeton Central (Bridgeton Depot). It is built on the site of Yoker Yard and accessed, to the east, by the former Clydebank Dock East Junction.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway
It's been 10 years since I expressed incredulity on RailScot that this period piece was still around, and, well, it's still around. Most people ...
David Panton 24/08/2019
The trainwasher at Yoker Depot. To the right is the announcement of the new Yoker Signalling Centre and Yoker Depot - now a remarkable 30 years old. ...
Beth Crawford 22/05/2017
Two former Virgin MkIII buffet coaches at Yoker Depot in January 2019. They have been used for fire safety training.
...
Ewan Crawford Collection 08/01/2019
303091 and another 303 stabled at Yoker Depot in 2002.
...
Bill Roberton //2002
4 of 24 images. more


This junction was close to Rothesay Dock and its yard. The line from Rothesay Dock East Junction (North British Railway) met the line from Scotstoun West Junction (Caledonian Railway) here.
...

More details
Looking east from the A814 bridge, along the re-instated Rothesay Dock branch, towards Yoker Depot and Clydebank Dock Junction in 1988.
...
Bill Roberton //1988
Looking west from the A814 along the Rothesay Dock branch in 1988, re-laid to carry imported coal to Longannet Power Station. The steel bridge in the ...
Bill Roberton //1988
2 of 2 images.


This junction was on the approach to the large yard at Rothesay Dock. The dock was approached from the east by two lines, one from Clydebank Dock Junction (North British Railway) and one from Scotstoun West Junction (Caledonian Railway). The signal box, 'Green Road', was on the north side of the junction. It opened in 1907 with the junction.
...

More details
Looking west over the former marshalling yard at Rothesay Dock. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The view west from the long gone footbridge over Green Road Junction in 1988. The line to Rothesay Dock was recently reinstated at the time. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Rothesay Dock branch looking to Yoker Yard. Yoker for Renfrew Ferry station stood on the bridge over the line. Here the NB line (left) met the Caley ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Rothesay Dock Yard viewed from the footbridge to its east in May 1987. The yard closed after the opening of the Hunterston Ore Terminal but was to ...
Ewan Crawford 18/05/1987
4 of 6 images. more





Dock

This junction was on the approach to the large yard at Rothesay Dock. The dock was approached from the east by two lines, one from Clydebank Dock Junction (North British Railway) and one from Scotstoun West Junction (Caledonian Railway). The signal box, 'Green Road', was on the north side of the junction. It opened in 1907 with the junction.
...

More details
Looking west over the former marshalling yard at Rothesay Dock. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The view west from the long gone footbridge over Green Road Junction in 1988. The line to Rothesay Dock was recently reinstated at the time. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Rothesay Dock branch looking to Yoker Yard. Yoker for Renfrew Ferry station stood on the bridge over the line. Here the NB line (left) met the Caley ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Rothesay Dock Yard viewed from the footbridge to its east in May 1987. The yard closed after the opening of the Hunterston Ore Terminal but was to ...
Ewan Crawford 18/05/1987
4 of 6 images. more


This dock, opened by George, Prince of Wales and Duke of Rothesay, was completed in 1907. It is located in Clydebank, on the north bank of the River Clyde. It was built for the Clyde Navigation Trust and was built for the coal and iron and steel industries. It was built at the East Barns of Clyde.
...

More details
Loop at Rothesay Dock looking west to the dock. The track was re-instated for Rothesay Dock - Kincardine Powerstation traffic in the 90s. Now lifted. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Loop at Rothesay Dock looking east. The track was re-instated for Rothesay Dock - Kincardine Powerstation traffic in the 90s. Now lifted. Access by ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking east over the former marshalling yard at Rothesay Dock. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking east along the Clyde. On the left is the Strathclyde Transport Yoker/Renfrew Ferry and beyond is Yarrows Shipyard now owned by BAE. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/01/2006
4 of 6 images. more