Partick West Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Partick West Junction (1896-1966)

Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.

Description

This was the western junction of a triangle of lines. The other junctions were Partick North Junction and Partick East Junction.

At this junction the line from Dumbarton Central, to the west, divided with a fork going north to Crow Road, Maryhill Central and Possil joining the main line Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway at Robroyston West Junction and another fork run west to pass through Glasgow Central Low Level to reach the main line at Rutherglen.

The northern fork was an important freight corridor.

The signal box was on the south side of the junction. In the ^V^ of the junction were dead end sidings, their eastern end being behind Partick West^s unusual curved station building. Partick West had two of its platforms on the eastern fork and a goods bypass line on its south side, joining at the junction.

The lines closed to passengers in 1964. The eastern fork was closed beyond Partick Central and was reduced to a single track.

The northern fork closed in 1966 when goods were largely diverted onto the almost parallel North British Railway route via Maryhill Park and Cowlairs West Junction. Partick West Junction box closed.

The eastern fork was cut back to exchange sidings at Partick East Junction in 1978 and the line through Partick West Junction closed altogether in 1980.

The trackbed remained intact and was converted into a footpath in 1988/89. The Clydeside Tramway exchange yard became a petrol station off Castlebank Street.

Demolition of the Meadowside Granary and the building of new flats on its site led to discussion about reopening the line to serve the new up and coming area. Instead the embankment and bridges were entirely removed, described as being to stop the separation between Partick and the new developments. The route of the line has been obliterated and partly built over going west as far as Smith Street.

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
06/08/2019


Dates

01/05/1896Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Maryhill Junction to Bellshaugh Junction to Clydebank Riverside, Partick West Junction to Stobcross and Bellshaugh Junction to Kirklee Junction opened for goods. Kelvinside, Partick Central, Scotstoun Goods, Whiteinch [CR], Yoker [CR] opened to goods. Branch into the Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] opened.
31/01/1966Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway
Possil North to Partick West Junction closed to freight. Alternative date 22/2/1966.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)