Shewalton Moss Signal Box (1902-1974)
This signal box stood alongside a loop on the east side of the line between Barassie and Drybridge, on the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway.
From here a siding ran uphill to the south east to the Hillhouse Quarry, which was approached from the Drybridge junction. This siding crosses the A759 by a bridge.
To the west was Shewalton Tip, a fan of sidings spreading out from the north where material was tipped into Shewalton Moss.
The box closed in 1974 when the line was singled. A ground frame remained for the tip and quarry.
The tip sidings are lifted, the quarry siding remains out of use and very overgrown.
The main line remains open as a single track line.
Irvine Bank Street
Bogside Moor Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Shewalton 5,6 Colliery
Shewalton 8,9 Colliery
Shewalton 3,4 Colliery
Craig Colliery Signal Box
Slough of Despond
Barassie PW Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|