Skares Viaduct (1872-1966)
Opened on the Ayr and Cumnock Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
This is an eight arch viaduct. It was built to carry a double track but for years only carried a single line, on its south side. It is located between the former Skares station, to the west, and Dykes Junction, to the east.
The signal box for Dykes Junction was to the west of the viaduct, on the south side of the line.
A loop was installed on the line between the station and junction, the loop being laid between the station's goods yard and the junction.
The railway was cut back to Dykes Junction (excluded) from the east in 1964. It closed westwards to Belston Junction (excluded) in 1966.
The viaduct still stands.
Other railway and industry locations
Dumfries House Siding
Whitehill 1,2 Colliery
Knockterra Signal Box
Dykes Pit No 1
Dumfries House [House]
Whitehill 3,4 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|