Tannochside Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Tannochside Junction (1867-1964)

Opened on the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Tannochside Branch (Caledonian Railway).


This junction was located between Bailieston (to the west) and Bargeddie. A mineral and goods line ran south east from the main line (running east-west). There were loops on the branch directly east of the junction and some exchange sidings in the 'V' of the junction. These both made trailing connections. The branch was single track and main line double track.

A box was located on the north side of the junction. Lines were later modified and a trailing crossover was added to the south of the box and the sidings modified to lead off the branch rather than main line.

The branch ran south east to Bankhead Quarry and Bredisholm collieries near Nackerty Signal Box. There were connections from the branch to the older Drumpeller Railway (other spelling such as Drumpellier and Drumpellar were used).

The branch and box closed in 1964.