Tollcross East Signal Box (1913-1965)
Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
This signal box opened in 1913, some years after the line opened in 1896. It was opened to serve the branch to Stewart and Lloyds' Tollcross Tube Works. The box was located on the north side of the London Road overbridge and was on the west side of the line.
The works was on the north side of the line and served by a headshunt which made a trailing connection alongside the box. From the headshunt the short branch turned from eastbound to northbound finishing at the works by Tollcross Road.
The box, and that at Tollcross, closed in 1965. The railway had closed to passengers with Tollcross becoming the end of the line in 1964. The branch remained open until 1966 from Carmyle Junction.
The cutting on the north side of the road remains, although it was landscaped after closure. The site is now tree choked.
Mount Vernon North
Other railway and industry locations
Clyde Iron Works Colliery Carmyle Pit No 1
Clyde Iron Works Coke Ovens
Arnott and Young [Fullarton]
Clyde Iron Reception Yard
Clyde Iron Works Ore Sidings
Clyde Iron Fireclay Works
Clyde Iron Works Signal Box [3rd]
Clyde Iron Works
Tollcross Tube Works
Clyde Iron Works Colliery Pit No 4
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|