This was an island platform station on a raised embankment. The station building was canopied all around. The signal box was across the westbound line from the station building. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached from the east.
The station served Tollcross (to the north) and Auchenshuggle (of Glasgow Tram destination fame). The large Clyde Iron Works was to the south.
The station closed in 1964 to passengers and the signal box in 1965. The line lasted until 1966, accessed only from the east with Tollcross goods as a terminus.
The site was largely cleared after closure and embankment lowered however much of it remains undeveloped and overgrown, something may remain in the undergrowth.
To the east was the Tollcross Tube Works at Fullerton (accessed from Tollcross East Signal Box) and to the west is the McVite's Victoria Biscuit Works. Both were rail served.
Mount Vernon North
London Road [Glasgow]
| Auchenshuggle [Tram]|
Arnott, Young and Co [Fullarton]
Clyde Iron Fireclay Works
Clyde Hot Metal Bridge
Tollcross Tube Works
Clyde Iron Works
Victoria Biscuit Works
Tollcross East Signal Box
Clyde Iron Works Colliery Carmyle Pit No 1
Parkhead East Signal Box
Clyde Iron Works Coke Ovens
Lilybank Boiler Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/02/1897||Glasgow Central Railway|
Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle to Newton section opened to passengers. Parkhead [CR] and Tollcross stations opened. Services can run through to Coatbridge Central or Airdrie [CR].
|05/10/1964||Glasgow Central Railway|
Partick Central to Rutherglen closed to passengers. Partick West, Glasgow Central Low Level, Glasgow Cross, Bridgeton Cross [CR], Dalmarnock and Rutherglen closed. Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle to Newton closed to passengers. Bridgeton Cross [CR], Parkhead Stadium, Tollcross and Carmyle closed. Partick Central (excluded) to Strathclyde Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic. Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Tollcross (excluded) closed to all traffic. (The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway also closes to passengers.)
|04/04/1966||Glasgow Central Railway|
Tollcross to Tollcross East closed to freight.