This is a two platform station. The location was formerly a four platform station, the two northern tracks no longer have platforms and allow non-stop trains to bypass the station.
It opened in 1873 replacing Newton [1st], just to the west. The location is at the Hamilton Junction of 1849.
The station was probably relocated due to the opening of the Hallside Steel Works in 1871. This works was alongside the line and just to the south.
When first opened there were two platforms, the present platforms, and a goods bypass to the south which served the Hallside Steel Works and joined the Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Not long after opening the Hamilton Circle was completed in 1876 with the extension of the branch east through Hamilton Central.
A further two platforms were added to the north with the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway in 1896. In addition there was a goods bypass line to the north of the station.
The station site was countryside, other than the steelworks, and remained so until recent years with the redevelopment of the former works site.
The former goods lines no longer exist on either the north or south sides. Today^s northbound pair of lines are used by non-stop west-east services and the platform lines can be used by stopping both west-east services and Hamilton Circle trains.
A power box opened here in 1960 replacing older boxes
Hallside Signal Box Hamilton Junction Haughhead Colliery Signal Box Newton Colliery Signal Box Newton Steelworks Junction Westburn Souh Signal Box
It closed in 1973, replaced by Motherwell Signalling Centre, but still stands.
To the west of the station is Newton West Junction. Between this junction and the station the Kirkhill line leaves at Newton Kirkhill Junction.
To the east of the station is Newton East Junction. Between this junction and the station the Hamilton Central line leaves at Newton Hamilton Junction.
A train on the bypass line to the north of the station cannot join either the Hamilton Central or Kirkhill lines, however the platform lines access all four directions.
A car park was opened to the south in 2004 and subsequently extended.
Mount Vernon North
| Newton Hamilton Junction|
Hallside Steel Works
Newton Kirkhill Junction
Newton East Junction
Clyde Nail Works
Newton West Junction
Newton Colliery Pit No 2
Hallside Signal Box
Newton Colliery Signal Box
Westburn Steel Works
Gilbertfield Colliery and Brick Works
Westburn Souh Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1845||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. The line was authorised from Glasgow, using the Polloc and Govan Railway to reach Hamilton with a branch to Motherwell [1st], the forks dividing at the later Newton station. The line would bring coal from pits in the Hamilton area, owned by the Dixons amongst others, to the Govan Iron Works. The Motherwell branch was authorised to not to be opened until the Caledonian Railway reached the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
|/ /1890||Glasgow Central Railway|
Act authorises the extension of the Glasgow Central Railway from Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle and Newton for the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1893||Glasgow Central Railway|
Extension of time to build the Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle and Newton portion.
|01/12/1896||Glasgow Central Railway|
Carmyle to Newton opened to goods and minerals.
|/ /1897||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Giffen Junction to Newton, Lugton L and A Junction, Clarkston West Junction to Clarkston East Junction, Muirend to Clarkston East Junction, Kirkhill Junction to Newton, Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction, Cathcart West Junction to Cathcart, two single track Cathcart East Junction to Cathcart North Junction links. Railways 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 authorised to be made by the Caledonian Railway.
|01/02/1897||Glasgow Central Railway|
Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle to Newton section opened to passengers. Parkhead [CR] and Tollcross stations opened. Services can run through to Coatbridge Central or Airdrie [CR].
|/ /1898||Clydesdale Junction Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Widening of Newton station approved due to increased traffic and the impending opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
|23/01/1901||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
Newton Widening and rebuilt and enlarged station opened.
|06/01/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Newton to Cathcart and Clarkston West Junction opened for goods and minerals.
|01/08/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Mount Florida and Cathcart to Newton and Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction opened for passengers. Burnside and Kirkhill stations opened.
|05/10/1964||Glasgow Central Railway|
Partick Central to Rutherglen closed to passengers. Partick West, Glasgow Central Low Level, Glasgow Cross, Bridgeton Cross [CR], Dalmarnock and Rutherglen closed. Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Carmyle to Newton closed to passengers. Bridgeton Cross [CR], Parkhead Stadium, Tollcross and Carmyle closed. Partick Central (excluded) to Strathclyde Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic. Bridgeton Cross [CR] to Tollcross (excluded) closed to all traffic. (The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway also closes to passengers.)
Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)
Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
The Hamilton Circle is electrified from Motherwell to Newton.
|21/07/1991||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
4 people killed and 22 injured in a head on crash at the single lead Newton Kirkhill Junction, just west of Newton station, probably due to a signal passed at danger (SPAD).