Muirend is one of the finest stations in the Glasgow area. It is an island platform with its original building and broad cantilevered canopies, the only intact survivor of its type.
The nearby goods shed survived closure for many years, but has been demolished. This was located on the east side. The goods yard was reached via reversing spur on the east side, the spur approached from the south.
The signal box was on the west side, roughly alongside the station building.
To the south was the north end of the intended curve from here to Clarkston East Junction on the East Kilbride line. The double track was converted into two long carriage sidings in 1907, approached from Muirend. This was a very long chord, which ran parallel to the Neilston route for around 0.8 of a mile before turning away to the south east.
The signal boxes at Patterton and Whitecraigs closed in 1961, the section taken over jointly by the boxes at Neilston High and Muirend.
The Muirend signal box was closed in 1980.
| Braidbar Quarry|
Cathcart West Junction
New Braidbar Quarry
White Cart Water Viaduct
Muirend Carriage Sidings
Cathcart Power Box
Washwall's New Siding
Cathcart North Junction
Pollokshaws East Goods
Cathcart East Junction
Washwall's Old Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1897||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Giffen Junction) to Newton, Lugton L and A Junction, Clarkston West Junction to Clarkston East Junction, Muirend to Clarkston East Junction, Kirkhill Junction to Newton, Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction, Cathcart West Junction to Cathcart, two single track Cathcart East Junction to Cathcart North Junction links. Railways 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 authorised to be made by the Caledonian Railway.
|01/07/1903||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Forgotten Railways: Scotland