Clarkston West Junction (1903-1907)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
In 1903, the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was extended from Giffen Junction to Clarkston and, a month later, Cathcart. At this junction the Clarkston and Cathcart routes separated. This junction was the start of the passenger route to Glasgow via Cathcart and a curve to Clarkston East Junction which carried goods to and from Lanarkshire via East Kilbride before the line was extended, again, from Cathcart to Newton in 1904.
As a route for imported iron ore from Ardrossan to the Lanarkshire iron works the route via East Kilbride was tortuous and crossed high ground. The curve, now redundant, closed in 1907. However its bridge over Eastwoodmains Road still stands, disused for 110 years.
Williamwood station was built on the site of the junction.
Both lines were double track. On closure the curve was severed at both ends. There was a signal box on the south side of the junction, located at the west end of what is now the westbound platform at Williamwood. The box closed with the curve.
Other railway and industry locations
Clarkston West Junction
Clarkston East Junction
Muirend Carriage Sidings
New Braidbar Quarry
Washwall^s New Siding
Washwall^s Old Siding
Giffnock Brick Works
Busby Print Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|06/01/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Newton to Cathcart and Clarkston West Junction opened for goods.
|/ /1907||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Clarkston East Junction to Clarkston West Junction abandoned.
|09/07/1929||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Williamwood station opened. This obliterated the former Clarkston West Junction.