Westburn Junction (1904-1966)
Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
This junction was to the south of the Westburn Viaduct. Here the Glasgow Central Railway of 1896 (the portion between Carmyle Junction and Steel Company of Scotland Works Junction, now Newton West Junction) was met by the 1904 Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway branch from Kirkhill Junction.
A signal box, on the west side of the junction and sitting high at the top of the embankment approaching the viaduct, opened with the junction.
The Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction to Carmyle Junction route allowed iron ore imported through Ardrossan to approach the Clyde Iron Works reception sidings from the east (and also the Govan Iron Works).
By reversing spur, approached from the north and on the west side of the Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction line, the Clydesmill Power Station to be reached.
The Westburn Steel Works was located on the curve to Newton.
The Kirkhll Junction to Westburn Junction section closed in 1966.
Westburn Junction box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
Carmyle Junction to Newton West Junction closed in 1983 although track remained at the southern end until 1988.
This location is now a footpath.
Mount Vernon North
Other railway and industry locations
Clydesmill Power Station
Carmyle South Signal Box
Westburn Steel Works
Westburn Souh Signal Box
Carmyle Goods Yard
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 1
Kenmuir Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Newton West Junction
Newton PW Depot
Clyde Nail Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/06/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened to goods. This was probably largely opened for Govan Iron Works (Dixon's Blazes) and the Clyde Iron Works.
|01/08/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Newton to Cathcart and Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened for passengers.
|01/08/1966||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Kirkhill (Kirkhill Junction) to Carmyle (Westburn Junction) closed to freight.