This station is west of Kirkhill Tunnel. It is a two platform station. It had platform waiting rooms (which still stood after electrification) and a street level ticket office, which survived the platform buildings but was demolished in the 1990s (?). The platforms are much lower than the surrounding land.
The station's goods yard Kirkhill Goods was to the east beyond the short tunnel under Greenlees Road. The sidings were approached from the east and on the north side of the line. The station's signal box was located here on the north side of the line in the 'V' of the junction between the main line ans sidings. A signal bridge stood to the east beyond which was Kirkhill Tunnel and, going further east, Kirkhill Junction where the routes to Newton and Carmyle divided.
The station signal box closed in 1961 when it was replaced by Cathcart Power Box.
Calderwood Glen Platform
Mount Vernon North
| Kirkhill Goods|
Busheyhill Signal Box
Newton PW Depot
Coats Park Colliery
Clyde Iron Works Slag Plant
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/08/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Mount Florida and Cathcart to Newton and Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction opened for passengers. Burnside and Kirkhill stations opened.
|17/06/1957||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Kirkhill (Kirkhill Junction) to Carmyle (Westburn Junction) closed to passengers.
|29/05/1962||Glasgow South Bank Electrification|
Cathcart Circle, Cathcart to Neilston and Cathcart to Motherwell via Kirkhill electrified.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland