This is a four platform station. The station is at the junction of the Glasgow Central to London Euston main line and the Hamilton Circle line to Hamilton Central. There are carriage sidings on the west side of the station, next to the northbound platform of the Hamilton Circle lines.
This was not the original Motherwell station, Motherwell Junction being on the main line slightly to the south east and Motherwell Bridge directly south of the Hamilton platforms.
Construction involved the relocation of Muir Street (authorised in 1880) which formerly crossed the main line. The platforms were heavily canopied and there was a single line bay at the north end, between the main and Hamilton platforms.
The main entrance, on Muir Street, has been replaced when the station was modernised.
Lesmahagow Junction, a four way junction, is to the north of the station. The station is built in the southern ^V^ of the junction. Hamilton Road Signal Box was at the south end of the Hamilton platforms.
| Hamilton Road Signal Box|
Motherwell North Signal Box
Parkneuk Steel Works
Motherwell Colliery Pit No 2
Motherwell Workshops Signal Box
Parkneuk Colliery No 1 and 2
Motherwell Colliery No 3 Watsonville Colliery
Motherwell Bridge and Engineering Works
Motherwell South Signal Box
Motherwell Malleable Iron Works
Motherwell Signalling Centre
North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre
Park Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1847||Lesmahagow Railway|
Act passed for a line from Motherwell to Bankend (beyond Coalburn). The Caledonian Railway fail to build the line.
Line authorised (this the semi independent ^Lesmahagow Branches^ which is backed by the Caledonian Railway); route Motherwell to Ferniegair to Coalburn to Bankend, branch to Northfield (probably the Southfield Old Pit).
|/ /1854||Lesmahagow Railway|
Line reconsidered, stock alterations and route alterations. Route Motherwell to Ferniegair to Coalburn to Bankend, branch to Northfield (probably the Southfield Old Pit). Southfield branch authorised. Branch to Littlegill Colliery authorised.
|08/10/1857||Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Line opened from Jerviston Junction (Wishaw and Coltness Railway) to Lesmahagow Junction (Clydesdale Junction Railway). The line allowed Motherwell [1st] station to be moved further west to Motherwell atLesmahagow Junction. Motherwell [1st] remained standing and Motherwell was opened in the V of the junction at Lesmahagow Junction. A large viaduct was required, Braidhurst Viaduct.
Caledonian Railway authorised to double Motherwell to Southfield (probably Southfield New Pit) and to run passengers trains to Lesmahagow [1st], the Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] branch and the Blackwood [1st] branch. The Caledonian Railway owns the Lesmahagow Lines by this time. Deviation, improvement and extension authorised.
Motherwell to Southfield Junction line doubling complete. (Alternative date 1866.) Doubling was undertaken in anticipation of increased traffic after opening to passengers.
Ferniegair to Motherwell, Lesmahagow Junction, opened to passengers. Trains start running from Buchanan Street to Lesmahagow [1st].
|/ /1871||Dalzell Malleable Iron Works|
Dalzell Malleable Iron Works opened in Motherwell by David Colville.
|/ /1880||Clydesdale Junction Railway|
For Motherwell station, deviation of a road, Muir Street, is authorised.
|/ /1881||Dalzell Steel Works|
Dalzell Steel Works opened in Motherwell.
|/ /1885||Clydesdale Junction Railway
New Motherwell station opened in the 'V' of Lesmahagow Junction.
Motherwell Mineral Office opened.
|03/09/1888||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Line renamed Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. The new line intended to carry iron ore from Ardrossan to Coatbridge and Motherwell.
|/ /1899||Mossend West to Mossend South Curve (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation for the line from Uddingston via Bellshill to Motherwell. This is the short curve from Mossend West Junction (west) to Milnwood Junction (south) at Mossend.
|29/05/1962||Glasgow South Bank Electrification|
Cathcart Circle, Cathcart to Neilston and Cathcart to Motherwell via Kirkhill electrified.
Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway)
Hamilton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
The Hamilton Circle is electrified from Motherwell to Newton.
|04/10/1993||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Local passenger service established between Glasgow (Rutherglen East Junction) and Whifflet. Trains interconnect with services to Motherwell and Coatbridge Central. 'Heritage' Diesel Multiple Units were used.
|09/12/1994||Glasgow Central Railway|
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvin Bridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Glasgow Central Low Level is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.