This masonry viaduct carries the double track Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway) over the South Calder Water.
This viaduct, and railway, now replace the older original route via the single track Jerviston Viaduct (1841-1890). The Motherwell Deviation allowed coal trains from the Lesmahagow lines to run north to the Coatbridge iron works via Lesmahagow Junction.
This is a double track nine arch viaduct, 203 yds long overall and 100ft high.
Bothwell Park Halt
| Braidhurst Junction|
Jerviston Junction [1st]
Motherwell Wagon Works
Clydesdale Steel Works
Motherwell Malleable Iron Works
Parkneuk Colliery No 1 and 2
Motherwell Gas Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|08/10/1857||Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Line opened from Jerviston Junction (Wishaw and Coltness Railway) to Lesmahagow Junction (Clydesdale Junction Railway). The line allowed Motherwell [1st] station to be moved further west to Motherwell atLesmahagow Junction. Motherwell [1st] remained standing and Motherwell was opened in the V of the junction at Lesmahagow Junction. A large viaduct was required, Braidhurst Viaduct.