Jerviston Viaduct (1841-1890)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This was a ten arch single track wooden viaduct over the South Calder Water. The piers were stone. The viaduct was on the course of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. Also known as the Camp Viaduct.
The viaduct was condemned around 1857 and replaced by a new double track stone viaduct - Braidhurst Viaduct - on the Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway) just to the west. This deviation also improved the layout at Lesmahagow Junction north of Motherwell station.
Some use continued for minerals and the telegraph still used the viaduct.
The bridge still stood in 1890, the OS map showing it still carrying a single track but with the northern most span removed and approaching lines from either side stopping before reaching the structure.
The piers of the viaduct were demolished in 1922/3. The stone was taken to Gleneagles Hotel and used in the landscaping of the grounds.
Other railway and industry locations
Motherwell Malleable Iron Works
Jerviston Junction [1st]
Parkneuk Colliery No 1 and 2
Motherwell Wagon Works
Motherwell Parkneuk Steelworks
Motherwell Workshops Signal Box
Logans Road Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)