The yard was built from 1959 to 1963 when it opened to marshal long distance trains and trips to and from the many Carlisle goods yards.
The very first yard here was built by the Caledonian Railway in the 1880s as a marshalling yard for Viaduct Goods to the north of Carlisle. Space was limited and these sidings allowed sorting and marshalling outwith the cramped site of the viaduct yard.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This junction has had a series of openings (and closures) and has been largely associated with the munitions factories at Longtown, Gretna and Smalmstown, and the southern approach to the Waverley Route.