This line is open. Today the branch is single track having been double track. The triangular junction at Cleghorn is no longer complete and services go to Glasgow only and no longer serve Edinburgh.
|/ /1847||Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lanark branch authorised to Cleghorn.
|05/01/1855||Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened to goods.
|/ /1860||Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Silvermuir Junction (Caledonian Railway) to [[Silvermuir South Junction (Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway)) authorised.
|01/04/1864||Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line doubled on opening of Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway). At Silvermuir a triangular junction is formed by opening Smyllum South Junction to Smyllum Junction.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the eastern apex of a triangle of junctions which gave access from the 1854 Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway) to the 1864 Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway). The junction allowed a train from the north to join the new Douglas branch.
This was the western apex of a triangle of junctions. It was formed in 1864 between the 1854 Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway). The curve south to Douglas Junction South allowed passenger trains starting from Lanark to run to Douglas and, later, Muirkirk [2nd].
This is the terminus of a a short branch. The station has two platforms and two station buildings. The larger of the buildings is sandstone and of two storeys, presenting one storey to the platform with a small canopy, it dates from 1867 and is 'B' listed. The second building is timber and has a glazed canopy. This building is similar to other Caledonian Railway buildings built around 1900.
This junction was the eastern apex of a triangular junction. Also known as Silvermuir East Junction or Silvermuir Junction East. The other junctions were Cleghorn Junction, to the west, and Silvermuir South Junction, to the south.