Perth station was rebuilt on a grand scale between 1884 and 1888 with a large trainshed and new platforms to the east of the existing northbound platforms. The Dundee bound platforms were also rebuilt. In addition a goods line was built down the west side.
|/ /1884||Perth General Enlargement (Perth Station Committee (Caledonian Railway, North British Railway and Highland Railway))|
Perth General station enlargement authorised.
|/ /1887||Perth General Enlargement (Perth Station Committee (Caledonian Railway, North British Railway and Highland Railway))|
Reconstruction and enlargement of Perth General completed.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This double track goods only line bypassed Perth station by running along its west side. The original northern end was at Dovecotland but was extended further north in the 1962 resignalling to Balhousie. Closed in the early 1970s.
The original shed here was an Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway building, a two road shed approached from the north, a later to the south of its replacement. It was replaced in 1885 with a new building.
This signal box controlled access to the Perth Goods [NB] yard. Access was from the south from the Perth goods lines avoided the station by running round the west side. The box was on the west side of the railway on the north side of the St Leonards bridge. (This box was not the same box as St Leonards Bridge Junction box. St Leonards Junction box was a North British Railway owned ...More details
This junction is at the north end of Perth. Today this is where the lines from platform 7 and the holding sidings on the west side meet those from platform 4 and 3 on the east side, which have just passed under the station road entry ramp. The combined lines heading north pass under the Glasgow Road Bridge.
This signal box was on the west side of the line south of the Long Causeway road bridge.
This signal box, just south of the Crieff Road bridge in Perth, was located on the east side of the line. It was just under a mile north of Perth station. The box was east of the main lines with goods lines passing round its east.