Uppermill station opened with the Micklehurst Loop, which paralleled the main Standedge route, in 1886. The loop was primarily for goods traffic and the station closed to passenger in 1917. It had substantial goods facilities which remained open until 1964. The last through train on the Loop ran on 2nd October 1966. Station House, similar to others on the Micklehurst Loop (see 89239), has continued in residential use. Most of the line is now a public bridleway with an elevated footbridge in place here to replace the old railway bridge.

Location: Uppermill

Original line: Micklehurst Line (London and North Western Railway)

Photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact editor

Date: 20/06/2024

Image number: 90056