This junction was formed between the 1868 Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway) and the 1846 North British Railway. It was east of Edinburgh Waverley and the Calton Tunnels.
To improve line capacity the line between Waverley and Abbeyhill Junction was quadrupled in 1897 and an additional tunnel opened at the Calton Tunnels. The signal box at Abbeyhill Junction was replaced in 1896 in advance of this.
The box lasted until Waverley was resignalled in 1938, being taken over the Edinburgh Waverley east box.
The junction was converted into a single lead junction in 1977.
The loop to Piershill junction closed in 1988 and the junction was taken out (although the loop lines were left in place right up to the point of junction, without making connection).
Today this is where the lines coming through the Calton Tunnels meet. Both tunnels are ingle rather than double track to accommodate the catenary.
McDonald Road [Tram]
Easter Road Park Halt
Picardy Place [Tram]
York Place [Tram]
Balfour Street [Tram]
Princes Street [1st]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
| Croit an Righ Brewery|
St Ann^s Brewery
Rose Lane Goods
London Road Junction [Edinburgh]
Easter Road Junction
St Andrew Steel Works
Leith Walk East Goods
Easter Road Stadium
Palace of Holyroodhouse
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1886||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Abbeyhill to Lochend Junction opened to passengers and freight. This line effectively quadrupled the main line of the North British Railway from Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction and provided a useful diversionary route.
|07/09/1964||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Edinburgh; Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction loop closed to regular passenger trains. Piershill and Abbeyhill stations closed.
|01/05/1972||Leith Central Branch (North British Railway)|
Leith Central (DMU servicing) to Abbeyhill Junction and Piershill Junction closed.
|/ /1989||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Loop from Abbeyhill Junction to Lochend South Junction falls into disuse after the remodelling of Abbeyhill Junction in connection with the electrification of the East Coast Main Line.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian