This original route of this line is closed. The line renamed the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway upon its extension to Granton and North Leith (it was opened as the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway). A connecting line was later built from the Granton and Leith branches to Abbeyhill and Piershill (Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway)).
|/ /1844||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
An Act is passed renaming the company the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway and giving assent to building branches from Trinity [1st] to Granton and from Warriston Junction to [North] Leith.
|27/07/1847||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway|
Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
|/ /1913||Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway|
North British Railway authorised to construct additional sidings at Granton.
|/ /1916||Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway|
North British Railway authorised to construct further additional sidings at Granton.
|/ /1916||Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway
Lothian Lines (North British Railway)|
Additional sidings at Granton Harbour authorised. Caledonian Railway's access to sidings authorised in 1913 (as part of the Lothian Lines) repealed.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the terminus of the line from Granton and North Leith. It was at the south end of the Scotland Street Tunnel. The station was immediately north of Edinburgh Waverley with terminal platforms and, just to the west, a connecting curve allowed trains from the tunnel to run west towards Haymarket.
This station was the Edinburgh terminus of the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway until its extension south to Edinburgh Canal Street in 1847. The station was built in an extremely cramped site. It was on the northern edge of the New Town and extending the line on south through the Scotland Street Tunnel took it to mid way between the New Town and the Old Town at Edinburgh [[Canal ...More details
This was a two platform station with the main station building on the southbound (Edinburgh bound) platform, now a house.
This was the terminus of the line from Edinburgh Canal Street after its extension from Trinity [1st]. It was located on the middle pier at Granton Harbour. From this pier operated, after 1850, the world's first train ferry (for the ferry services see Granton Pier).
This pier opened in 1838, the 28th of June which was the coronation of Queen Victoria (see Queen's Bridge). It was fully opened in 1844 by which time it was 1700 ft long with berths for 10 steamers.
This was a two platform station in a deep cutting. The road level building still stands, looked won on by the surrounding tenements built after the station.
This unusual station had a single platform on a double track line. The platform was west of Great Junction Street on the south side of the line with the Water of Leith directly to the south. At the west end (and south side of the line) was Junction Road Bridge signal box where a line ran south to Junction Mills, approach being from the east.
This level crossing was protected by Bowling Green Street Signal Box. The box was located on the east side of the Bonnington Goods branch between the goods yard and Bonnington Goods Junction, just north of the Water of Leith Viaduct and West Bowling Green Street.
This was the goods yard at the end of the branch from Bonnington Goods Junction, just east of Bonnington station. The goods yard was on the south bank of the Water of Leith and served a considerable number of small works.
This goods yard was between Warriston Viaduct and Warriston Junction, to the north, and Rodney Street Tunnel, to the south. The yard was on the west side of the line and approached from the north. Across the railway from the yard was the Logie Green Works. Heriothill House was just to the south.