The landowner, Walter Francis Montagu Douglas Scott the Duke of Buccleuch, began work on Granton Harbour in 1837.
The harbour was enclosed between the Granton Western Breakwater and Eastern Breakwater with the steamer pier, Granton Pier, (the Middle Pier or Victoria Jetty), in the middle. Granton Square is just to the south.
Granton station was opened on the pier in 1846, a terminus of the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway.
The Granton Western Breakwater was served by the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) from 1861 (it predated the railway). The Granton Esparto Wharf was on the harbour, or south side, of the breakwater. A small shipyard, with slip, was on the east side of the breakwater at its south end.
The eastern breakwater was not railway served.
One of the main exchange locations between the North British Railway and Caledonian Railway was just to the west of Granton Square, a line crossing from the base of Granton Pier to Granton High Goods across West Harbour Road.
The western half of the harbour has largely been reclaimed with flats being built on the reclaimed land. Plans are also afoot for the eastern half.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
East Pilton Halt
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Granton Esparto Wharf|
Granton High Goods
Granton Iron Works
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Granton Shell Siding
Caroline Park Ironworks
Bruce Peebles Ltd
Pilton West Junction
Granton Western Breakwater
Trinity Chain Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/10/1837||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Walter Francis Montagu Douglas Scott, the Duke of Buccleuch, begins work on Granton Harbour.
|/ /1916||Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway
Lothian Lines (North British Railway)|
Additional sidings at Granton Harbour authorised. Caledonian Railway's access to sidings authorised in 1913 (as part of the Lothian Lines) repealed.
|/ /1986||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line lifted from Granton Harbour to the Granton Bitumen Works.
|/ /1987||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
Line lifted from Powderhall to Granton Harbour.